• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

7.62x54r

Wolf six

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
107   0
Reaction score
Hello,

I have come into about 100 rounds of bulgarian brass case and would like to pull the bullets and replace the primers. I also need to tumble the cases some of them are fairly tarnished. All Advice is appreciated

Pulling the projectiles on Mil-Spec Ammo is likely a chore and a half (or nearly impossible) as it is likely "glued" on with some form of water-proof cement.
If it is "pitted" corroded; or has other than a "dusting" of corrosion ... I would pitch it ... better safe than sorry.
Otherwise,(if you are bound and determined to shoot the stuff) take some 000 / 0000 steel wool and "lightly polish" off the ugliest spots and (carefully) shoot it.

BTW: Let us know whether you survived, or have your relatives post the arrangements here so we will know where to send the "Darwin Award" along with flowers.

I am not being flippant, just brutally honest in advising against shooting any suspicious looking Mil-Surp ammo ... especially something that is from a former Communist Bloc manufacture, looks to be improperly stored ...and that is berdan primed, corrosive, and nearly impossible to either pull or reload. 7.62x54r is too plentiful and inexpensive to risk yourself with!

Last edited:
Berdan primed means that there are 2 small flash holes in the bottom of the case and they are usually corrosive. These are not easy to get out. I believe that the standard primers will work if you get the old one out without destroying the case.

Generally speaking: Standard boxer will not work in place of Berdan primers.

The anvil system is different.

On Boxer primers the anvill is a three legged spider looking thing on the underside of the primer. The Berdan system has an anvil in the form of a post milled into the brass between the two small flash holes.

As far as salvaging the ammo components is concerned, I would pull the bullets and reuse them, but would would not use the brass or powder.

The primers may be corrosive; that really isn't a big deal if you clean your gun thoroughly. The big deal with that ammo is the number of internet posts about 7.62x54R complaining about the case splitting due to internal corrosion. I would want to be sure the surplus that you have has not had any reports of failure.

Last edited:
I know the primers can be drilled out and replaced with large rifle primers. These bullets arent sealed and i had two of them fall out of the case. I know a lot of them arent seated right or well thats why i want to pull them and re-load them

Does anyone have a kinetic puller i can borrow?

Back
Top Bottom