• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

about tableware

ticstone

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum and wondering about titanium cooking stuff. I’ve found some vendors likes light my fire, timberbrother or etc selling titanium spork on Amazon but I still had no idea if titanium stuff is the best option for camping…

Hi I am new to this forum and wondering about titanium cooking stuff. I’ve found some vendors likes light my fire, timberbrother or etc selling titanium spork on Amazon but I still had no idea if titanium stuff is the best option for camping…

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/cookware.html
Depends on what kind of camping you are doing. ^^REI article has some good thoughts. If you are doing "dump camping" meaning little to no backpacking and staying put for a few days, cast iron is great. If you are hiking Cumberland Island for 3 days, maybe titanium, but prepackaged food cooked in aluminum pots with boiling water is better. Speaking of food, how you prepare your food and plan to cook will affect your decision. I'd stay away from titanium or other exotic metals until you have planned and executed your cook plan a couple of times on different hikes/camping trips.
And to go down the rabbit hole further, what is your fuel and method of fire/fuel. Trench fire with wood or propane tanks with grasshopper type frame....
JMHO.

the only reason to use titanium is for weight savings. If you have pared down every ounce from your backpack and are looking to shave 1/2 ounce weights, then Ti is right for you.

IMHO there are plenty of other places I could drop weight if I were that concerned with it. I don't do long backpacking trips any more, and my gear is a few years old now so it's much heavier than the newer lightweight stuff. If I wanted to drop serious weight I would be looking at a new backpack, tent/hammock, sleeping bag/pad, and other places to save weight before I sprung for Ti cookware. The new silicon collapsable stuff would be the way to go anyway. it's smaller and lighter.

Even when I was going on week+ long backpacking trips, I didn't bother with it. but i have more money than I did back then too. but IMHO there are better ways to spend your money than titanium cookware.

Back
Top Bottom