• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

advice needed

haymons22

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
I've been trying to sharpen knives for a few months now when I have spare time. I'm not doing so well. I'm trying to use a lansky 5 stone system but I still find that getting consistent angles with the one from the manufacturer is difficult.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to use this system? Or how to learn to free hand? Or just general advice? Thanks in advance.

Rob

consistent angles

That would be the key. You may not be able to match the angle the manufacter but why bother? I made my living using knives for years and can tell you that the Lansky system is hard to beat for someone who isn't used to sharping them!

Ok. But I'm still having trouble with getting them sharp. I use the same angle slot on both sides but it still seems like I can't get anything sharp. Maybe I'm not sharpening on it long enough or something lol. I'll keep trying and see what I can come up with. Does having the stand for the clamp make a difference? I've been just holding the clamp with one hand and sharpening with the other.

Does having the stand for the clamp make a difference? I've been just holding the clamp with one hand and sharpening with the other.

Yes it does. The clamp on the blade is what keeps the angle consistent. free handing lets the stone move some.

It does not get much better than a lansky for a beginner to sharpen. I don't know how you can make the angles inconsistent with it so it must have something to do with crappy steel or not starting with and finishing with the correct grit before moving on to the finer grits.
Tip 1: establish what you want the knife to be used for and select the best angle (30 for tough use and 17 for shaving) or whatever you want in between.
Tip 2: if they are stones use oil
Tip 3: run a majic marker along the edge before you change grits and then stroke it lightly one time. If there is any marker left on the edge angle you are not done with that grit. Or you need to go to a coarser grit.
Tip 4: pull your finger from spine to edge on the opposite side you are sharpening. You should feel a burr. You may then also change stones.
Tip 5: when possible support the clamp on a table or the knife handle on your wrist so you can apply more pressure. This is not necessary or manufacturer recommended but it will speed the process.
Tip 6: go through all grits with the same checks before you move to the finishing grit.
Strop on leather for that hair popping edge and don't cut yourself!

Its probably a lot to do with some of the knives I've been "practicing" on. They are cheap gerbers and one cheap spyderco with 8cr13mov steel. I have another spyderco in a vg10 steel that needs sharpening obut I would like to know I'm doing it correctly before I ruin it.

As far as the inconsistent angles I mentioned I'm thinking it could be that they were inconsistent from the manufacturer. I can't understand how using the same angle slot on both side of the blade would give me an inconsistent angle.

Back
Top Bottom