• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Alpha Hunter by Buck Knives

the_great_white

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
122   0
Reaction score
Any one have any experience with one of these? I was thinking about ordering the Alpha Hunter with the gut hook in the S30V blade steel but was wondering if anyone had some experience with either the Alpha or the S30V steel before i drop the coin on one.

Thanks!

Yep I'm a big Buck fan and I've had a couple. I like the Alpha hunter folder with the rosewood handles a lot just for being pretty, being sharp and general everyday cutting duty. It has been a very good sharp knife but I have relegated it to skinning only If I carry it in the field after breaking an alpha hunter fixed blade. The fixed blade Alpha Hunter is only good for skinning because the blade is too wide and thin for general quartering or any encounter with bone. I have one somewhere with a big chunk out of the blade from trying to get through a joint with it. I just haven't got around to trying to send it back to Buck yet. I dont want my folder to undergo the same fate.

If you are looking for a good sturdy hunting knife that will handle it all, look at the Buck 110 for a folder and/or the 119 for a fixed blade.
The blades have plenty of backbone and will stay sharp for a long time. These models have been around a long time for a reason because they are workhorses.
I would definitely recommend one of these classics over the Alpha hunter because they are of a much more durable design and capable of more tasks. If you are looking for a skinner only the Alpha hunter is a fine knife.
I hope this helps
BHJ

i have the 110 and i like it as an all purpose knife, but for hunting purposes, its hard to get the "gunk" out of the internal folding parts. I think i used to have the 119 but i dont know where it went. I'm looking for a full tang with the gut hook so i only have to carry one knife with me. I hate to hear it broke so easily, was that with the 420 steel?

Yep you're going to get the crud in the crevices of most any folder.
I kinda looked around and couldn't find either of my Alphas in the usual spots. Probably in one of my duffels, backpacks,range boxes or in the pocket of some of my camo??? I don't remember right off hand what grade of steel the blades are made of. I chalked it's breakage up to the wide thin blade design. Not really suitable for cutting around vertabrae etc. I've been carrying a Buck Rush or a US made Kershaw Leek lately for what needs cutting.

For deer I like the clip point blade of the 119 special and it's length gives plenty of blade so it stays sharp even when butchering several deer. I've never really been a fan of gut hooks because with my butchering method I never see the guts until the last step when I cut the tenderloins out so I don't need one. It keeps everything much cleaner too as long as you don't gut shoot em. No pee no poop no guts.
Hang em from a gambrel, Skin em, Take out the back straps,cut the meat off the bones in muscle groups, take off the neck roast, start just below the pelvis and make a little slice everything falls down away from the tenderloins,cut out the tenderloins and drop the hooves bones and ribs in the gut bucket. Done. It's a lot easier on the coolers and the freezer without all the bones and it's surprisingly fast. Even when I used to gut deer I never had any problem just zipping em open using a good sharp knife and my fingers.
Here's a link to the 119 special if you're interested. Sometimes you can find em at Wal mart with a nylon sheath and black phenolic handle for around $40 and that's a steal. http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=products.search&SearchTerms=119&x=20&y=6
Good luck and I hope you find a good knife.

Back
Top Bottom