Any Briggs/Stratton Rebuilders up in here?

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
I've got a 17.5 Intek that could use an overhaul. The rest of the mower is in great condition and is an older MTD thats actually built halfway decently. No electronic pto and I've disabled all the stupid people switches so she's a pretty sweet ride. Anyways, I've found a couple of rebuild kits online including piston, pin, rings, and gaskets. Are the rods/mains bushed or do they have bearings? The plan is to bore out the cylinder which I'm assuming is the Iron sleeve even though it doesn't say it on my block. Anybody got time working on this family of Briggs?

Is it burning oil? Like kill mosquitos smoking?

If not leave it alone.
There is no good reason to open it up, none. Don't waste your time or money, for no real gains.

I've worked on one or two in a previous life.....

The carb rebuilt or made functonal. It runs on half choke. The pressure washer pump could use a rebuild kit also. New pull string, return.
Function check.

Is it burning oil? Like kill mosquitos smoking?

If not leave it alone.
There is no good reason to open it up, none. Don't waste your time or money, for no real gains.

I've worked on one or two in a previous life.....
Burns oil but not enough to smog the 'squitos. It does burn lightly the entire time its running and then a good burp of blue when you kick on the blades. I've already replaced the head gasket and adjusted the valves 4 years ago and at that time I had a good amount of piston slop. I've just been sure to keep it topped of with 40wt. The main reason I'm considering trying to extend the life of the mower is the newer ones are just absolute trash. They're all coming with the Kohler Command pieces of trash that don't last a season or two. My mower is around a 2002 model and the original owner that gave it to me literally never changed the oil. I work with him lol I know its history. He just added more oil as it burned.

Burns oil but not enough to smog the 'squitos. It does burn lightly the entire time its running and then a good burp of blue when you kick on the blades. I've already replaced the head gasket and adjusted the valves 4 years ago and at that time I had a good amount of piston slop. I've just been sure to keep it topped of with 40wt. The main reason I'm considering trying to extend the life of the mower is the newer ones are just absolute trash. They're all coming with the Kohler Command pieces of trash that don't last a season or two. My mower is around a 2002 model and the original owner that gave it to me literally never changed the oil. I work with him lol I know its history. He just added more oil as it burned.

It's officially not "excess" oil consumption till you break 4oz an hour.

The command is actually a better engine, but needs more attention.

B&S are crap IMHO. There is a guy here in Cartersville (Kemps Lawnmower Care) that works on them alot.

I have a Kohler Commercial 15hp, and its a beast, their residential stuff is hit or miss, but that is with many manufacturers.

When I asked about rebuild costs for my engine, I was told by several sources that the parts and labor were more than just buying a new motor. Hopefully it is not the same for the residential stuff!

B&S are crap IMHO. There is a guy here in Cartersville (Kemps Lawnmower Care) that works on them alot.

I have a Kohler Commercial 15hp, and its a beast, their residential stuff is hit or miss, but that is with many manufacturers.

When I asked about rebuild costs for my engine, I was told by several sources that the parts and labor were more than just buying a new motor. Hopefully it is not the same for the residential stuff!
I agree theyre all made cheap. Im able to make my own parts on the side though so thats why I was hoping the rod/mains had bushings. Doesnt look like thats the case though. Run'r til she blows into a mighty ploom!

Back
Top Bottom