• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone know the Georgia laws on "Out the Front Knives"?

SafeCracka

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
341   0
Reaction score
Anyone know the Georgia laws on "Out the Front Knives" I never had an issue in Florida but I was told I might here...

Troodon.jpg

Last edited:
No.

I've never heard of a law that makes a distinction between knives that have the blade sliding out or retracting into the front rather than pivoting on a hinge and folding-out or folding back.

I'll bet there are a lot of cities and counties that have local laws against "switchblades" or "gravity knives" that might apply to this sort of thing, but thankfully since 2012 the State of Georgia has had a preemption law that forbids local governments from regulating knives-- any cutting instrument with a blade-- except they can ban them and criminalize the possession of knives in courthouses and public buildings. See Code section 16-11-136 (b).

Thank you! is this your book? how much?

No.

I've never heard of a law that makes a distinction between knives that have the blade sliding out or retracting into the front rather than pivoting on a hinge and folding-out or folding back.

I'll bet there are a lot of cities and counties that have local laws against "switchblades" or "gravity knives" that might apply to this sort of thing, but thankfully since 2012 the State of Georgia has had a preemption law that forbids local governments from regulating knives-- any cutting instrument with a blade-- except they can ban them and criminalize the possession of knives in courthouses and public buildings. See Code section 16-11-136 (b).

The owner of Bert's Blades in Warner Robins told me that Georgia has no law prohibiting the ownership or carrying of switchblades, gravity knives and Balisong type butterfly knives. I think there is a law regarding blade length as far as what can be carried concealed or what needs to be in a belt pouch/sheath.

Back
Top Bottom