• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Boat mechanic/advice needed

Nate

Default rank 5000+ posts
GET TO DA CHOPPA!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 1999 Larson 186 with a 99 Johnson 115 2 stroke motor. I have owned it for 4 years and when I bought it the majority of the electrical system was replaced. It has run strong since then but it was always pretty loud. I just assumed it was loud because it was a 2-stroke.

So the fuel pump took a crap and fell apart. I don't have a boat mechanic so I took it to a shop local to the Lake Oconee area. He said a new fuel pump was $400 (for just the part) and that I should have the carbs cleaned. Then he gave me the good news... He said I have pretty loud "bearing noise" coming from the motor. He said on a 1-10 scale it was a 6.5 and suggested that the motor may not have much life in it once fixed. I'm not sure how that happend, must have been abused by the previous owner. I always mixed the oil and gas myself (I disconnected the oil injection system to avoid a oil pump failure)

He said compression was strong but bearing noise bad. He proposed that the could take apart the top end in less than an hour and see if the noise is coming from somewhere obvious. I told him to go ahead and do that but I haven't heard back yet.

I have a few questions,
1) Do any of you have a mechanic in the Lake Oconee, Athens, Milledgeville, Lake lanier areas that you trust. I would like a second opinion. I don't think he was lying, it seems he would be better served to just not bring it up and replace the pump and clean carbs for a profit. Instead he seemed to be suggesting it isn't worth dropping $1000 on a crap motor.

2) The boat ain't a show queen by any means, is it worth it to consider buying a used motor? If so, where should I look and how do I know I'm not buying a lemon?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand!!! LOL

Joking aside... if you're looking for someone to look at it, check out the little boat shop behind the gas station across from the power plant on Sinclair (next to the big storage house). The mechanic there has been nice to me on helping with some info, may charge to check it out, but may not if repairs it. Other than that, might check the Boat Doctor (Milledgeville) or Motor Masters (Milledgeville)

BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand!!! LOL

Joking aside... if you're looking for someone to look at it, check out the little boat shop behind the gas station across from the power plant on Sinclair (next to the big storage house). The mechanic there has been nice to me on helping with some info, may charge to check it out, but may not if repairs it. Other than that, might check the Boat Doctor (Milledgeville) or Motor Masters (Milledgeville)
Thanks man, Yea I was ready for the "break off another thousand" just not the "and btw your motor is screwed"

nvm... just checked rental prices
rental $500/day
12 days at lake each year
=$6000/ year

better off buying a boat I suppose

Back
Top Bottom