• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Canik TP9SA mods

nicaburns

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
Empty Tomb Forge
245   0
Reaction score
I picked up a TP9SA off GunBroker NIB for $259 so I figured it would be a good candidate for modding without feeling bad if I screw it up.
Mod #1: The recoil spring on these is insane! Coupled with a nose-heavy slide, I was getting some stove-pipes with basic ball ammo. I cut four turns off of the spring which was no small feat since it is a captive spring. Now I get complete function with ball ammo and still smooth function while shooting full power loads.

Mod #2: The sights are pretty basic and I read online that the front sight was compatible with a CZ75 so I picked up a HiViz fiber optic and swapped the front sight.

Mod #3: The slide release was rather poorly cerakoted (too thick) with virtually no traction so I used the dremel and a diamond bit to cut serrations and then cold-blued. (Not precise but works)

Mod #4: I did not like the angle or thickness of the "beavertail" rear so I ground away about 3/8" of plastic. I then ground the forward rail out for more thumb traction and did my first stipple job. Stippled most of the gun and, while not pretty, gave great grip even shooting in the pouring rain yesterday at 45 degrees.

Mod #5: I did not like the de-cocker so I disabled it. (There are some tutorials online) Just made small pins which ride inside the springs limiting downward travel of the button. It is reversible/removable and easy to do. (Pic shows depth of movement with limiter pins)

These mods turned out way more functional than I had even hoped. Absolutely love the gun and bang-for-the-buck is incomparable! Won't replace my nicer pistols but a darn nice addition and a great loaner!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom