• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Carpenter bee load

I use CCI 22 shotshells and a 9 shot High Standard 22 pistol.

I have a bunch of Lizard Litter that I use in my brass tumbler, I may give that idea a try.

Find an old cork board(bulletin board) take it apart and get the cork out of it....it will be a sheet. Take whatever casting of brass you're gonna use(9mm, 38, whatever) and punch it through the cork...dig it out of the brass...put a new magnum primer in shell, fill half full of media and press cork in the top. Tamp it down with a pencil eraser end. Should give enough of a kick with just the primer to blow carpenter bee ?? :)
If you don't get enough "puff" from the primer...try honing out the flash hole with a drill bit.... You could even put a few flakes of powder in the bottom before you added media, but I wouldn't use much at all. If you use powder, I would put maybe two cork pieces in.... A shotgun kapok would probably work great.....410 kapok in a .45 long Colt ??

Last edited:
Find an old cork board(bulletin board) take it apart and get the cork out of it....it will be a sheet. Take whatever casting of brass you're gonna use(9mm, 38, whatever) and punch it through the cork...dig it out of the brass...put a new magnum primer in shell, fill half full of media and press cork in the top. Tamp it down with a pencil eraser end. Should give enough of a kick with just the primer to blow carpenter bee ?? :)
If you don't get enough "puff" from the primer...try honing out the flash hole with a drill bit.... You could even put a few flakes of powder in the bottom before you added media, but I wouldn't use much at all. If you use powder, I would put maybe two cork pieces in.... A shotgun kapok would probably work great.....410 kapok in a .45 long Colt ??
Good idea, I have a few magnum primers still lying around I might need to give that a try.

I've got a .22 Jet bbl for a Thompson Contender....we take the jet brass, hone out the flash hole and seat a mag primer, then take a .22 cal pellet and seat it in the tip of the shell and slightly crimp it. Makes a bad ass pellet gun !! Lol... Dosent take long to make up 50 or 100 rounds...but it's an afternoon of fun shooting off the back deck at a can or a log.

If you're dead set on something powder actuated and using a firearm.
I have some experience making small shotshells from scratch. (.32 rimfire shotshells)
Foam from an egg package makes a good wad to push the payload. I use a chamfered shell casing to cut the foam into small circles for use as a wad.
I think a primer should provide plenty of power to propel a light charge. Primers are far more potent than most folks give em credit for.
For insects bees I would try something like grits or maybe couscous or rice as the projectile.
I know they use them in cowboy loads to break balloons while on horseback and other trick shots in front of an audience where lead would be too dangerous.
Good luck.

Parafin block. A friend uses wax and just primers in his 38 for practicing on aerial targets. At distances inside 10-15 feet, it'll penetrate a milk jug, but it falls to the ground before reaching 25-30 yards. you'd have to either make a mold and pour it for a semi, and obviously hand cycle.

Actually, wads made from a thin sheet of paraffin would probably work well. Dental paraffin is sold in sheets, may be available on Amazon or eBay.

However, you'll probably see some primer setback with no powder. Might not be an issue in an autoloader, but will jam a revolver right up.

Back
Top Bottom