• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

CCI 22 mini mag Q

WinstonSmith

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Garthok Narfler
85   0
Reaction score
Alright, I'm stumped. Using cci mini mag 40 gr 1235 fps ammo. Every ballistic chart I can find shows that with a 25 yard zero I should be on at 25, high at 50, pretty on at 75, and low at 100.

My rear sight is 1.25 (center of bore to center of peep sight). Shooting good groups at 25. I zeroed at that because my main purpose for rifle is Appleseed shoots.

My 50 yard shots are 2-3 moa low. I dont understand why. My original thought was to hold sight picture at center of target at 25 and move to pumpkin on a post at 50. Did that shot way low. Shot center of target at 50 was 2-3 moa low.

Any thoughts or advice from resident rimfire experts?

CCI have always done me right, i shoot em with a 10/22 with a Nikon 3x9 BDC sighted in at 50 yards and it’s a tack driver. Looks like your using irons some one will be along soon to cover that

There should be two points where the bullet crosses the line of sight. Check out the first picture in this article https://www.quora.com/How-do-iron-sights-work-according-to-the-principles-of-optical-physics

If you're on at 25 and low at 50, then you'll definitely be low at 75. You'll have to sacrifice going higher at 25 to bring it up at 50 and 75. The good news is that a little adjustment at close range will translate into a big adjustment at mid-range. An inch at 25 is probably good for two inches at 50, and then about an inch and a half at 75 and an inch again at 100. See how that works or no?

By the way, the "inch" measurement and the yardages mentioned are meant to be a generic example to demonstrate with, I didn't look up ballistics, just using them for example.

There should be two points where the bullet crosses the line of sight. Check out the first picture in this article https://www.quora.com/How-do-iron-sights-work-according-to-the-principles-of-optical-physics

If you're on at 25 and low at 50, then you'll definitely be low at 75. You'll have to sacrifice going higher at 25 to bring it up at 50 and 75. The good news is that a little adjustment at close range will translate into a big adjustment at mid-range. An inch at 25 is probably good for two inches at 50, and then about an inch and a half at 75 and an inch again at 100. See how that works or no?

By the way, the "inch" measurement and the yardages mentioned are meant to be a generic example to demonstrate with, I didn't look up ballistics, just using them for example.

Yeah, makes sense. I'm beginning to think that my 25 zero was just a little low in the moa square. When I put everything in the calculator I came up with .72 moa low at 50 which surprised me. Combined with being a hair low on the 25 yard that is probably the issue. I'll just have to keep playing with it. Darn, another excuse to go to the range and shoot :)

The 25 yd zero is mainly to get you on paper at 100. At 25, unless the BC is correct for your bullet, have the proper adjustments for atmospheric conditions and altitude, and you nail the MV, AND you are exact on your sight height above bore, you will have very large errors at extended range.

Sight in YOUR rifle for YOUR ammo at the ranges you want to use. Make a range card, and keep it with the rifle.

The 25 yd zero is mainly to get you on paper at 100. At 25, unless the BC is correct for your bullet, have the proper adjustments for atmospheric conditions and altitude, and you nail the MV, AND you are exact on your sight height above bore, you will have very large errors at extended range.

Sight in YOUR rifle for YOUR ammo at the ranges you want to use. Make a range card, and keep it with the rifle.

Yeah, I will zero differently when the rifle is used for small game hunting but for now I'm using it for Appleseed events that are 25 yards hence the 25 yard zero. I am making a range card and playing with the sights. My results for said range card were confusing to me and as I dont have a ton of rimfire experience I figured it wouldnt hurt to run by you fine folks. I think I have it figured out now I just have to get to the range next week and play a bit more. Thanks for the advice!

I would suggest switching to subsonic ammo. 22lr bullets tend to get squirrely going transonic. That's probably happening around 75 yds depending on atmospherics. Pretty much all match ammo in 22 is subsonic. R50, tenex, midas etc

I'll check around prices. I like the cci mini mag because my rifle seems to like it (shot groups are pretty great for my shooting abilities) and its inexpensive to pick up in bulk. I'll try some subsonic out and see if it works better for me. Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom