• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Course of fire recommendations.

wnchstrtnfldvlle

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
70   0
Reaction score
I consider myself a novice pistol shooter. I can stand there and plink targets out to about 20 yds pretty well. Accuracy when concentrating is great. What im looking to do is to expand the skills.

I am asking for a "program" that I can follow on my next trip to the range. I have loaded up about 800 rounds of 9mm now, and I will be spending the day out there to really get in there and work on skills. I would like to have an actual routine to follow that will help me work on recoil management, faster follow up shots, and transitions between targets. Any ideas?

I know that a good class to attend is the optimal way to do this, but for now this will have to do.

Thanks

We do an informal IDPA training in Jasper GA every Thurs PM and your welcome. If not I'd buy 3 of Ben Steoger's books. Dry Fire.... Practical Pistol Skills / Drills.... Fundamentals and Techniques Everything you need to be awesome except lots of time to do the drills. Don't under estimate the power of dry firing and doing all your immediate action / weapon manipulation at home. Cheap and effective. Oh buy a timer or if money is really a problem download an app.

We do an informal IDPA training in Jasper GA every Thurs PM and your welcome. If not I'd buy 3 of Ben Steoger's books. Dry Fire.... Practical Pistol Skills / Drills.... Fundamentals and Techniques Everything you need to be awesome except lots of time to do the drills. Don't under estimate the power of dry firing and doing all your immediate action / weapon manipulation at home. Cheap and effective. Oh buy a timer or if money is really a problem download an app.

I will look those books up. Thanks.

If and only if you are comfortable doing graduated exercises, beginning with very simply and then evovling into more and more complex shooting I would recommend that. One step, then turning and walking forward two-three steps, pivoting 180 degrees, moving laterally utilizing cover and concealment then multiple engagements from multiple distances. Combat reloads, slide lock reloads. It does not take a large amount of rounds just concentrating on safety and technique. I use this technique to a very complex degree with very experienced shooters that are preparing for a complex qualification and it almost always brings back the skills relatively quickly (not necessary in one or two days so don't get in a rush) Safety, good technique and the basics.

I had a former foreign military personnel I served with that was wanted to get a slot on a contract, had not fired a pistol or rifle in 10+/-years. Three weeks later he qualified top in his class with both the m4 and the Glock 19. He was very proud of himself and it was purely progressive complexity, Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, and all hi peers thought he was some SOF dude from his home country (not that that means allot). He was just a veteran" with a hell of a work ethic.

Hope that helped at all.

Edited 8-28-14

Last edited:
If and only if you are comfortable doing graduated exercises, beginning with very simply and then evovling into more and more complex shooting I would recommend that. One step, then turning and walking forward two-three steps, pivoting 180 degrees, moving laterally utilizing cover and concealment then multiple engagements from multiple distances. Combat reloads, slide lock reloads. It does not take a large amount of rounds just concentrating on safety and technique. I use this technique to a very complex degree with very experienced shooters that are preparing for a complex qualification and it almost always brings back the skills relatively quickly (not necessary in one or two days so don't get in a rush) Safety, good technique and the basics.

I had a former foreign military personnel I served with that was wanted to get a slot on a contract, had not fired a pistol or rifle in 10+/-years. Three weeks later he qualified top in his class with both the m4 and the Glock 19. He was very proud of himself and it was purely progressive complexity, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, and all hi peers thought he was some SOF dude from his home country (not that that means allot). He was just a immigrant with a hell of a work ethic.

Hope that held at all.

That does help. Thank you.

For the dry firing. Are you saying to just put a dot on the wall and dry fire?

Here is what I would envision.

1. Static dry fire at a dot on the wall x a lot
2. starting at a "ready position" extend the arms, find the front sight post aim and squeeze the trigger. (concentrate on good trigger pull) x a lot
3. Speed up two x a lot
4. Draw, find fsp, aim squeeze trigger. (concentrate on good trigger pull) x a lot

Then head to the range Friday. Rerun through steps 1 thru 4, this time with live ammo. Does this sound like a good start?

Once I go through the steps again, on to

1. add in snap caps to steps one through 4, random order. (quick question on immediate action for a pistol. Is it just tap, rack, squeeze?)
2. add in the malfunctions to go to remedial action steps one through 4. Once again for remedial action. What are the steps?

Feel free to expand and elaborate on these plans.

Back
Top Bottom