Curveball!!!!

xGAxBlueChip

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
6   0
Reaction score
So.. I'm still fairly new to the archery world. I've had my bow for about 3 months and I have done a couple 3d shoots both of which I shot novice class. The first shoot I did was 3 days after getting my bow and I shot a weak 125. The second shoot was a little over a month later and I was real happy with my 178 total. This past weekend I went for my 3rd shoot and the gentleman told me my bow was to fast to shoot novice!!! Talk about a curveball... For those who don't know ASA shoots have different distance to shoot from novice from my knowledge is never longer than 30yards and most of your shots clear lanes with minimal elevation change. This is not the case for Super Unlimited Class. The shoot was AWESOME!!! There were some very tight lanes with lots of cover to shoot through and some drastic elevation changes. I use an adjustable single pin sight and I didn't have a mark for shooting past 30 yards so it was a guessing game all day long. I didn't shoot as well as would have liked but I did hit every target & slipped out with a couple 12s and 154 total. All in all in was a big learning experiance and a whole lot of fun!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
Very cool. I'd love to shoot in one. Are there tourneys near us?

Also, what's the speed limit for novice? I have a 328fps IBO bow, and I'm shooting right under 300 with my current setup.

I think the limit for novice is 280, but the absolute max is 288 which includes a plus or minus factor they use in setting the speed limit.

Cool. I'd love to shoot in one. Wonder how many n00bs end up shooting in the classes above novice? Do you estimate yardage or what? I know I should be researching this on my own, but yeah. I'm not...

Also, do you have to join a club or do you just show up?

Not many noobs move up in class to start, but if you score to high in the novice class they will automatically move you up. You don't have to be a member of any club to participate, just show up and pay your money. It cost between 10 & 20 bucks per event. Novice class usually have a max distance of 30 yards and you do have to guess the distance. Some shoots have a known distance shoot, just depends on who is putting on the event.

The closest one I have found is in Warne, NC which about an hour from me. I don't know of any down around Canton but i would love to do one thats closer to home lol.

i like shooting 3d. there is a 3d course about 20 minutes from here that usually has about 50 folks show up. i have been twice and had a lot of fun, but its just too "church-y" for me. bible verses pasted on boards along every shooting lane.... big dinner but 20 minutes of praying and other religious rhetoric. i went because my buddy wanted me to go, but i wont be going back.

Back
Top Bottom