defensive pistol reflex / red dot sight vs laser

Reflex/ Red Dot sight or Laser on your concealed carry pistol?

• Reflex / Red Dot

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Laser

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Taco

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Bryan

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
184   0
Reaction score
If you are going to augment iron sights which do you feel is the best to add, mini reflex mounted to the slide or a laser?
what I see

Reflex need to have slide milled and sights changed to easily cowitness.
Laser takes up real estate where you could mount a light. Unless you buy a combo laser at a higher cost and bulk.
( the question of if you need a light on a concealed carry gun is a different post.)
Reflex can sometimes be hard to find without proper alignment. Needed to use iron sights but harder to do under stress.
Lasers do not have the battery life of reflex sights. Crimson Trace does provide free batteries.
Cannot rack your slide on your reflex sight if you need one hand manipulation. (Important to some.)
Lasers give away your position. ( Again important to some.)
Reflex sight adds bulk that can snag drawing from concealment.
Laser requires turning it on. An additional step during a stressful situation. (Crimson Trace being the exception but the grip activation adds bulk to the grip and if you want to control when the laser is deployed you have to think about how you grip the pistol.)

I have gone back and forth while making decisions on my new full time carry .

I shoot a G34 with a Trijicon on it in competition and I could tell you I would never consider the RMR on my carry guns.

It took a long time to get on target with that first round as fast as with open sights and if I don't keep practicing with it, I lose what I've gained. It's a very tough muscle memory thing.

Now once you have it in the window and if you have a good firm hold so it doesn't leave the window it's awesome.

But if you can't keep it in the window (I needed a compensator to do that) it'll suck again, because you'll shoot, the muzzle will flip up, the dot will disappear when it gets to the top of the window, then the muzzle will come down and you will need to reacquire the dot before laying it on the next target. You'll be slower not faster.

I have and often carry a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, it has the laser.
You can't see it a lot of the time and if you try to use it, instead of the iron sights, you'll be slower.
You have to train yourself to go for the irons first, then shoot the dot if you can see it.
But all these things take time and I'm not for that in a carry gun.

I shoot the irons on the Kimber and if I'm dotting I's and can see the laser dot I'll use it.

There's a 3rd option you haven't considered maybe....
My night gun is a G22. It has a laser that slips on the rail. The laser has a rail and the light sits on that one and it has night sights.
This way you have everything if you want it.
I'll tell you when you turn on the spotlight and laser at the same time it's pretty awesome.
One bright red dot in the middle of a perfectly round spot light, I'm sure it would be uncomfortable to be anywhere in that picture.

YMMV, but believe me when I tell you, a reflex sight on a carry pistol really doesn't seem like the way to go. Shooting plates or targets it would be fun, after the first shot you're faster and more accurate with the reflex sight, but in a carry gun that first shot is oh so important and to be slower is a real drawback....

I have worked at gun pro shops for the last two years, and I can tell you that we always recommend a laser first for those interested in an attachment to help with target acquisition in defensive applications. A properly adjusted laser serves as an intimidation tool as well as a tactic for blinding an assailant. A laser will also give you confidence ...knowing that you are on target when your laser is pointed at centre mass. However, a laser is for acquisition, not precision.

You can get laser sets that are installed internally for some handgun models to cut down on bulk. I also recommend a green laser....they are really easily seen during the day as well as at night. I hope this helps!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Oh sorry .... Forgot to add .... Statistically, altercations usually take place at a distance of three to five yards away, and the victim has literally a split second to react. Thus, giving away your position is not really a concern.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well just to be clear where I fall I am going with an M&P Shield 9mm ( I was going to go 45acp but realized it was just a macho thing on my part.) Crimson trace green laser, xs big dots, apex duty/carry trigger kit, oversize mag release (coated to prevent corrosion issue), and a tac rack (Back plate racking enhancer)
The only thing I have not decided on is a holster and I have some custom ideas and will have to get with someone to work it out.

Too much to think about for defensive carry. Keep it as simple as possible. Just point, shoot, and skoot.

I have all that fancy stuff on my range toys for fun or around the house guns. Oh and one HD Shotgun but, I just don't practice enough with it for the muscle memory to be there yet so, for carry, I keep it as simple as can be. No modifications and no fancy lasers or fancy optics. Easier to conceal that way too.

Well just to be clear where I fall I am going with an M&P Shield 9mm ( I was going to go 45acp but realized it was just a macho thing on my part.) Crimson trace green laser, xs big dots, apex duty/carry trigger kit, oversize mag release (coated to prevent corrosion issue), and a tac rack (Back plate racking enhancer)
The only thing I have not decided on is a holster and I have some custom ideas and will have to get with someone to work it out.
That's cool. I have a lot of fancy guns that I play with but my carry alternates between a plain S&W J-Frame .38 and a Glock 43. No do-dads, laser light show, or anything fancy.

Back
Top Bottom