• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Don't you hate when bucks walk right by your hot doe wicks?

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
Happened to me the other day with code red doe in heat.
I've used code blue but never code red and so far have not had any luck with the code red which is not as pungent as the blue.
I've used the thinks gel to no avail but it has a deep pungent smell.

I've had code blue bring them in hot and heavy and go straight to my scent wick and other times they totally ignore it.

A few days ago a spike walked right by two of my code red doe in heat wicks while he had his nose to the ground obviously on an older hot doe trail since I was there for a couple hours so her trail was at least that old.

I had a clear shot but I already tagged my smaller buck and have to wait for a quality buck...darnit.

I could have had my chance that same evening when at dusk a herd of six does came through my way like a frieght train and slowed down when they got close to my scent wicks and the lead doe stopped.
She was a big, mature doe so I took my shot at approximately 40 yards with my crossbow and she ducked my string big time.
I went right over her back as a result.
They all ran off simultaneously about 40 yards then stopped and waited for some reason....then I noticed a monster buck hanging way back just standing there watching, then as I was reloading my crossbow in my tree In hopes he would stick around, he slowly trotted towards the others leaving me with no second chances.
I knew they would not come this way for at least a couple more days after that so I decided to do evening hunts there just to test my theory and so far three days gone by with no sign of them.

I am hoping they will be brave enough to come through tomorrow evening and I will be on the ground this time with a few tricks up my sleeve.

My second deer was an 8 point and my dad walked to his hunting spot with a drag of Tinks 69. That buck was on a mission when he came by. His plan was perfect except he forgot that the enemy always gets a vote. An I voted nay. That's the only time I've had it work though.

Back
Top Bottom