Fiberglass ballistic plates

brittthomas

Default rank <1000 posts
Okefenokee swamp creature
27   0
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: In no way am I advocating to anyone that's reading this to go out and start cutting sections of fiberglass boats, bathtubs, car body panels etc and stuff them in your plate carriers and assume you're protected. It will not work. Also, I'm not saying that the process that will be discussed in this thread will work, it is an experiment and nothing else. Do not use anything other than NIJ compliant ballistic plates. I would also like to add that I am trained by and employed by a composite manufacturing company and I have the proper knowledge, materials and tools to take on said experiment. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

Before I continue, I am expecting to get some flak for doing this. I understand people have opinions on what is best and I respect that. I only ask that you respect my undertaking in the same way. This will not be a step-by-step instructional on how to make you're own armor. This will be experiment and I will post updates over the next few weeks of my progress. Once again I urge you, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

My overall goal is to fabricate a working level IV ballistic plate out of fiberglass reinforced polyester that will be cheaper and lighter than steel and cheaper than ceramic and polyethylene. I am basing my design and dimensions on current SAPI ceramic plates which is the most commonly used ballistic protection right now. The finished product will be a 10"W x 12"L x 3/4"Thk. plate that will be of similar weight to a ceramic plate.

What started this journey was when a buddy and I went out to the range one day. As I previously stated, I work for a composite manufacture, so, I picked up a piece of fiberglass for us to shoot at one day before I left work. These were the results:

i878.photobucket.com_albums_ab346_brittthomas_7378608a.jpg

i878.photobucket.com_albums_ab346_brittthomas_8525d23c.jpg

That is a .45 ball round stopped dead in it's tracks by a 1/2" thick unidirectional wind pattern fiberglass plate. Then we shot it with an AR:

i878.photobucket.com_albums_ab346_brittthomas_f30cba33.jpg

i878.photobucket.com_albums_ab346_brittthomas_7609bfeb.jpg

The round went straight through with no problem.

This is when the wheels began turning. "If the unidirectional fiberglass can stop a .45 at 25', maybe it could stop that .223 with a different wind pattern." The unidirectional pattern is single strands of fiberglass running parallel to one another (ex. llllll) which allows thinner rounds to pass right through between the strands. On the other hand, if there was a "net" to catch the round it would probably work. There is a woven material that we have at work would fit the bill nicely.

So, over the next few weeks I will be constructing my plate as I have the time(off the clock, of course) and be posting updates as I meet certain points. Wish me luck!:cool:

Sounds good but i wouldnt talk to much about it until you have patented information honestly! if its not patented its free game and pm sent.

Back
Top Bottom