• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

first deer with a glock

I think all of that went out the window with the new regs.
How would the DNR know what the muzzle velocity was for a 357 hand load, without shooting your bullets into a velocityraptormeasurerthingamajig?

I believe there is some kind of energy requirement but too lazy to look it up. Used to be a .357 with a 6 inch tube would barely make that number as I recall.

For a handgun It used to be a 500ft/lb at 100 yds of energy requirement. Ga arms loaded a Deerstopper round in .357 +p+ that claimed a 158gr gold dot bullet at 1701fps. If I remember correctly it was calculated to have 509ft/lbs of energy.
Under the old requirements I wanted to hunt with my 8 3/8" 357 mag revolver and asked a local DNR officer about using it with game specific loads. He looked at me and said "Son if I see you hunting with that cannon I'm not gonna give you any grief about it."
I'm glad they changed the regs but they're depending on hunters to use good judgment and a proper caliber to do the job. The .357 mag with medium to heavy bullets is indeed plenty of gun to get the job done.

Congrats on a nice buck with the 10.

I load some .44mag each year for deer and hogs. Hornady 240grain XTP over 21 grains of 2400 and that load will flat lay one on its head when hit.
Walking thickets with a revolver is some of the best times you can have.

Back
Top Bottom