First WMA hunt advice

that scares me the most about public lands... I am responsible... but what about the guy in the tree that is still recoving from the binge drinking episode from the night before?

I hunt public land a lot and the only time I have had a close call with another hunter was on private land that I was supposed to be the only one on. Wear your orange and don't worry about it. Have a good time.

I have property close to the Coopers Creek WMA and have hunted there. Just be in shape to handle your game harvest out of there. Most areas are VERY ROUGH..... Good luck!

Last edited:
Wear the orange and when u get in your tree keep an eye and ear out for someone walking in. You will probably be able to see their torch and hear them closing in. give them a couple of flashes with your torch. If they continue in, give a whisle and some flashes. I always try to be there super early so that I'm up my tree and quiet before anyone else.

Berry College WMA has lots of deer on almost 15,000 acres. You'll drive 1+ hours to get there from Cherokee.

I've been on the ground hunting squirrel on a section of about 2,000 acres. On weekends I've counted about a dozen in that section archery hunters each time. If you're willing to walk in about a mile you'll be almost alone. And you'll be alone on a weekday.

No problems with other hunters. My orange didn't prevent another hunter from taking a deer near where I was still-hunting -- that was after I had fired off a couple of shots. I just look for them in the stands, give a quiet nod, and move on to an unoccupied area. There's room and game enough for everyone, by my relatively inexperienced observation.

On all of the WMA tracts, it pays to study and print out a satellite view from Google if you haven't been there before. There are some closed roads and trails that don't appear on some of the WMA maps.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom