128   0
Reaction score
Item Name: FS 18 acres of land southeast of Monticello/ Jasper County

Zip Code: 31064

Item is for: Sale Only
Sale Price: 58,000

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: I'm planning on listing this land through an agent, but figured I'd try here for a few days first. The land is approximately 18 acres. I believe the survey says 17.98 or something like that. It has a century-old school house/church building on it that looks rough on the outside but is still solid. It's a great place to ride ATV's, hunt, and go shooting. Every time I've been out there we've seen deer and turkeys. It would make a great home site, and there are no conservation covenants or anything like that on the land, so it's open to do what you'd like. Here's a chance to buy before the price goes up to cover agent fees.

To answer some questions I've received: The land is about half grown-in clear-cut former timber land that looks like a neglected pasture, with sections of young pine trees, and some hardwood areas around the outside and down the middle. There is a lot more wildlife cover than shown in the pictures, including where we seeded with mustard and wildflowers two yeas ago. It's in need of a good mowing. There is power along the road. A spring begins a small creek, just a few feet off the property, so a pond could probably be built at the back side of the property. That is my plan if we keep it and decide to build. Google shows the stream starting on the property, but the only time I've seen water flowing on our side of the marker is after a rain.

Pictures:
monticello1-jpg.1589543

monticello2-jpg.1589544

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
Seems like a fair deal to me. $3200 / acre.

All of that land is dry enough to drive on, when it hasn't rained for a couple of days?
There are no really swampy/ boggy areas where you can't drive it and would sink up to your knees when walking it, is there?

Seems like a fair deal to me. $3200 / acre.

All of that land is dry enough to drive on, when it hasn't rained for a couple of days?
There are no really swampy/ boggy areas where you can't drive it and would sink up to your knees when walking it, is there?

It has a gentle slope on much of it, so drainage isn't an issue. My brother actually went out there the other day after it had rained for a few days, hoping to get his truck muddy. He sounded disappointed. The only area where it stays wet after a lot of rain is at the bottom corner, where the property drains to. There's a spring that starts just off the property down there, and that area would probably make a good place to put in a pond. That's what we've planned on doing if we keep the land. Before it grew in with some grass and weeds, there was a lot of bare red dirt, so after a rain, it would get slippery to walk in at the top of the property where it was flat, and the wet clay would suck your shoes in to the ankle. It never got bad enough that I couldn't drive my Outback around on it after some rain though. I would just avoid driving a 2-wheel-drive at the bottom corner after much rainfall.

They are two really old (going back to the Civil War era) cemeteries. We have to allow a right of way along the property line for people to go to the sites, but I've only seen someone out there once, and he was maintaining graves. They make for really quiet neighbors. The tract below those two also appears to be cemetery, with many unmarked pre-civil war graves that show as depressions in the ground and a rock marker, so I'm guessing it will never be developed or logged.

They are two really old (going back to the Civil War era) cemeteries. We have to allow a right of way along the property line for people to go to the sites, but I've only seen someone out there once, and he was maintaining graves. They make for really quiet neighbors. The tract below those two also appears to be cemetery, with many unmarked pre-civil war graves that show as depressions in the ground and a rock marker, so I'm guessing it will never be developed or logged.

Thanks. Very interesting. The unmarked graves are probably slaves.

The frontage is on Cambell Cross Road, which is paved. From Hwy 212, you can take Jordan Road, which is also paved, and come out on Cambell Cross Road, across from the property.
I'm not sure what you're talking about being between the two cemeteries. In the picture, they are both on the southeast side. The west side is two churches next door to each other. Below that there's a mobile home and really small cemetery that doesn't border mine.
I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, you're welcome to email me at tractiongrips@gmail.com
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom