Gritty mag release fix - Easy

grabbin' asphalt

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
232   0
Reaction score
So I bought a new sig 1911 and ever since I had it, the mag release felt gritty and catching somewhere then releasing. Thought I'd share the easy fix that was causing my issue. Basically the spring rides over a shaft but the end of the shaft has a somewhat flat edge but in a a circle.
I removed the mag release and simulated a push button, while slightly moving finger pressure on the shaft side to side, causing the very end of the shaft to catch on the spring as it was moving up and down. This was the exact feeling it had when depressing it on the gun. I took some sand paper and rubbed the tip to a rounded, "Bullet" shape with no more sharp edge and gave a few brushes down the shaft and boom, Fixed. No more catching on the spring. I also used the spring slightly, to rub a bit on the inside the hole edge, just as extra stuff while I already had it out.
Found a quick how to remove mag catch button video on youtube incase someone needs to watch how to remove the mag button, very easy. Here's a couple pics of the parts described and gun also. Add some oil/lube when your done and one smooth button coming up!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc0X2NoxBRw

Attachments

• p_100003260_1.jpeg
    p_100003260_1.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 29
  • p_206000035_1.jpeg
    p_206000035_1.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom