Help with weld on Vepr folding stock

UCSBAVIATOR

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
15   0
Reaction score
Gents,

After searching many sites on the internet, I attempted to break the small weld on the folding stock of my Vepr 12 so that I can actually fold it (yes, I am aware that I need to switch out multiple parts to US manufactured parts after I do this). I somehow got one that they apparently did a good job of welding and it appears that the weld continues pretty far down instead of just being superficial. I have attached a photo that I took with my Iphone and which I know is blurry. It looks a lot worse on the photo than on the actual gun itself, although I don't care too much as that is the underside of the folding stock. My question is do I continue attempting to dremel deeper into the groove or does this run the risk of causing damage to the stock to the point that it will be unstable/wobbly. I am thinking about giving up...I would like to break this damn weld, but don't want to risk any damage to the gun.

Thanks! vepr2 (640x480).jpg

I have one of these and been thinking about doing this. I would continue. I would use a thin cutting wheel to go into the crack and not try to grind it down from the outside. Post pics and let us know how it goes.

That's kind of what I was trying to do. The thinnest wheel I could find was just very slightly larger than the crack on the side, but there is almost zero space on the seam on the bottom. It is hard to tell from my crappy pic, but I went into the seam a lot further than I thought I would have to and am still encountering metal. I read online about guys being able to break their welds with a hammer or just simply applying pressure, but someone did a nice job on my weld. I don't mind a little cosmetic flaw on there...just don't want to break this thing as I read that there is no replacement for this particular style of stock.

Maybe this will help. I used a Dremel with a thin blade on a low speed setting for a couple minutes to shave off the top part of my weld spot and then made a shallow groove in it. I took a penny and placed it under the edge of the stock release and that was the perfect size item to hold the release button open so I could get two hands on the gun. I then smacked the stock (hinge side facing me) against a padded stool and it broke the weld and folded. Took me about 10 minutes after that to smooth the edges and round the weld spot off. This should do the trick. Good luck! My Vepr is 922r compliant also.

Last edited:
Thanks Gunsmoke! This is exactly what I was looking for! Apparently I had done enough work with the Dremel and just needed to get this damn thing to crack. The penny trick worked perfectly...I hadn't even thought about using one to keep that release open. A few bangs on my carpeted stairs and also with a rubber mallet and the weld broke. I appreciate the advice!

Back
Top Bottom