• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I can't remember............. when trading handguns out of state do the firearms have to be shipped to an in state FFL?

Let's differentiate "sale" and "transfer."

You can certainly purchase (pay cash or trade or some combination) a handgun from an out of state seller, but to be 100% legal, the handgun must be shipped or carried to a receiving FFL holder in your home state for TRANSFER to you. You cannot take possession of the handgun FROM A SELLER in a state in which you are not a resident.

Long guns/receivers, etc., purchased or traded for between you and an out of state private seller must ALSO be shipped or carried to a receiving FFL in YOUR home state for TRANSFER to you. Purchases (and transfers) of long guns directly from FFLs outside your home state are usually good to go provided the firearm is legal in both the state in which you purchased it AND in your home state.
That's right. Exactly how I did it. When I bought one from a guy in SC. he brought it to a FFL in Ga., and when I sold one to a guy in Alabama I brought it to a FFL in Al.

Make it simple, you ship yours to his FFL and he/she/ or it ships to your FFL. Or you both meet behind the barn and swap. :wacko:

Guy decided he didn't like my trade offer so anyways. I'd honestly rather buy from an online dealer than buy or trade on here anymore anyways. Just sometimes a unicorn pops up on here.

Back
Top Bottom