IDPA

H4zY

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
67   0
Reaction score
I was at my local range the other day "Big Woods Goods" and noticed they have IDPA matches there once a month. I watched them for about 20 mins before I had to go. I wouldn't mind getting my feet wet and giving it a try. I think it would benefit me better and get out of the paper target syndrome and move into, engaging moving targets, or some type of scenario simulation. Is the IDPA "noob" friendly or should a novice, such as myself look elsewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

goto www.gadpa.com They have an excellent new shooter's brief. If you are in the Atlanta area Cherokee Gun Club has a match this Sunday. Ultimately it's up to the local club as to how friendly it is for a new shooter.

Another link of interest is www.idpa.com . If you come to Cherokee, shoot me a PM and I'll put you on my squad. I have a 14 year old coming with me Sunday so I'll be in new shooter mode.

Wheeler

most idpa places are welcoming to newcomers. they normally will have a new shooter meeting and safety briefing 30 minutes before the match starts. as long as you know basic gun safety, have proper equipment, and can listen and obey commands by the safety officer you will do fine. most SO's will give you pointers and direction during the run when you are new if they see an opportunity to

make sure you are ready to get addicted.

most idpa places are welcoming to newcomers. they normally will have a new shooter meeting and safety briefing 30 minutes before the match starts. as long as you know basic gun safety, have proper equipment, and can listen and obey commands by the safety officer you will do fine. most SO's will give you pointers and direction during the run when you are new if they see an opportunity to

make sure you are ready to get addicted.
Yep...what abailey362 said.
I've gone (several times) to IDPA at Sandy Springs just to observe and understand what goes on. They have been very friendly, explained things that were happening (when time allowed) and even offered to lend me equipment to allow me to participate. They are extremely safety conscious and that was good to see.

Thanks for the info guys. I was a little unsure as to what I might be in for. I go to the range about twice a month and shoot, is that enough practice for a beginner starting out in the IDPA?

@n11
I will go back and watch another match before I sign up. I'm still a little nervous about competing, however I'm more concerned with honing my skills with my EDC gun. I think that's what will benefit me the most.

Thanks for the info guys. I was a little unsure as to what I might be in for. I go to the range about twice a month and shoot, is that enough practice for a beginner starting out in the IDPA?

@n11
I will go back and watch another match before I sign up. I'm still a little nervous about competing, however I'm more concerned with honing my skills with my EDC gun. I think that's what will benefit me the most.
Being a little nervous makes sense. One of the things I noticed was that it's not as rushed as you would think. Folks seem to go at their own pace and don't push the speed beyond their current proficiency. The top shooters are fast but most regular participants don't act as if their in a competition...they are simply practicing their skills. Remember that I've never actually done this...these are just my observations.

I shot for the first time at Big Woods Goods last week and had a blast. I was nervous on the first scenario, of course, but after that it was no big deal. The biggest thing is to just pay attention to safety - trigger/muzzle discipline, etc. I'll be there tomorrow night to shoot again. It's fun!

One note, they apparently have the buzzer tuned so that the sound frequency scrambles your brain waves and you forget how to do any manipulations like mag changes and whatnot. ;)

One note, they apparently have the buzzer tuned so that the sound frequency scrambles your brain waves and you forget how to do any manipulations like mag changes and whatnot. ;)

LOL. that would probably happen to me too.

Like has been said just go out and shoot. You will not embarrass yourself and you will not need to worry about score. gadpa.com is excellent and Capel puts on great matches. Everyone is friendly and willing to help in any way that you could think.

Back
Top Bottom