• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

If you could have only one shot size (or maybe two)...?

FamDoc2892

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
235   0
Reaction score
What's your favorite multi-purpose shot size? I'm thinking about turkey hunting, possibly skeet, even a backup deer load as likely uses. Thinking of putting together a homemade shot maker, and trying to decide what size shot I should target? (no pun intended!)

I like a #4 (0.130") birdshot for turkey, but would it work for skeet, where I would usually use #7.5 shot (0.095")?

Both of those are a far cry from the smallest buckshot, #4 (0.240"), and even further from the ever-popular 00 buckshot (0.330")...

Anybody with experience using #4 up to #1 buckshot on deer? Good performance, or am I better off sticking to the 00 size?

Use whatever smaller shot for the birds and make some wax slugs for deer. I have made some before and they are deadly and accurate enough. This guy works up at MossPawn at 41&75, if you had any questions I'm sure he would be able to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea, I like the slugs for deer much better, all things considered. Then I'm only looking for a shot to do 2 jobs, clays and turkey hunting.

I like #8 or #9 for clays, #6 for squirrels, #4 for turkey, and #1 buck or slugs for defensive use. The performance of these shots sizes is different, and the applications are different, so picking one would be tough. In a small space, I wouldn't hesitate to use #6 for any kind of bird or small game, or even defensive use, but once the range opens up, it becomes less than ideal.

Back
Top Bottom