• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Last Saturday's Results

Anschutz

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
7   0
Reaction score
Up here in NY it is still archery season. I had not hunted at West Point yet and wanted to give it a shot this being my last season up here. I got some NAP Killzones that my bow has been known to shoot fairly well. I got out about 4PM and walked down a powerline. There was a ridge to my left with a lot of trees and then dropping down into a valley. I cut in and jumped a small doe and she stopped but she was behind a earthen wall. I followed her a little bit and thought she was gone but saw her about 40-45 yards off. I tried to close a little bit and get a better view she wasn't having any of that. I explored that ridge and say there were a couple of trails so I found a spot to sit. About the only thing ACUs blend in to is the rocks around here so I found a rock that would allow me to lean back with my butt hitting the top of it. I heard a stomp and looked right and saw ears above the grass. It kept stomping and I slowly got down and turned towards it and decided that I would do some stomping of my own. It never moved its head for the whole time then I saw its tail flicker. I knew it was roughly broadside so I drew back and stood up to try for a shot. All I could see was the back and head so there was no shot. I let down and resecured my arrow to the riser. It got a little nervous and trotted downwind to see what I was. I saw it as a yound doe so I stopped it and guessed the range to be about 30 yards. I settled my pin into the killzone and let loose. Right over the back. It cleared out really quick and no sooner could I get another arrow knocked, it came back to the same spot. I drew and put my first pin on it and shot thinking dead deer. No dice, barely under it. I'm thinking WTF at this point and thought maybe that the fall I took on the rock earlier knocked my tuning off since I hit the cam on that rock. Back to the deer. The second shot hit something behind it and it looked back to see what that was. I'm thinking that the hunt is over when this deer starts heading towards me. Trying to get in closer to see what I was. I was sitting there thinking "Make this shot count" I saw a lane and drew back of course it had to stop behind the tree, for what seemed like forever. I was about to let down when it stepped out so I go back to the wall and it stops... only slightly in to me. At about 15-20 yards I knew I couldn't miss. And I didn't. I saw the fletchings bury into it and watched it as it bedded down. To me the shot looked a little further back than it should have been so I was going to give it time. I started down to try to find the blood trail and I hear something coming from around the corner of the ridge. Then a buck comes from around that corner. I didn't have anymore arrows so I decided to have some fun with it. I stomped and then snort wheezed at it and it stopped to take a peek at me but didn't bust or anything. So I whistle then have a little conversation with it. When it cleared out I started down the hill to where my deer bed down and there it was. I saw that my exit was farther back than I thought so I roll it over and see testicles. I frigging button buck. But he tastes good. I'll be going back this weekend to get another one. Hopefully fill a doe tag.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383694256.143935.jpg
Deer and exit
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383694293.325368.jpg
Blood trail

Forgot to mention, never found any of the arrows will invest in lighted nocks

Back
Top Bottom