Live ammo tumbler?

So, the great mystery here is...

How do commercial ammo manufacturers polish loaded ammo without blowing up all of our guns from degraded powder?

How is a coating applied to gun powder in the first place? What is this coating made up of? Why is it there?

Is the box of ammo that has spent 100,000 miles kicking around in the glove box of my 4x4 truck now unsafe to shoot because of all of the vibration it's been subjected to over the last seven years?

What about surplus ammo from the 1930s and 1940s... hasn't it surely seen more vibration over the past 75 years than ammo that has spent a couple hours in a vibratory tumbler?

I don't want to give any attitude to the poster who talked about his buddy's blown up .270, but the whole concept of tumbled ammo causing some sort of issue just sounds too much like an urban legend to me. The .270 story is the closest thing I've seen to a first hand account, but even then there are so many other variables present that it seems hasty to blame the kaboom on the ammo having been tumbled after loading.

Back
Top Bottom