• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Loading 38 special for arthritic hands

a__l__a__n

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
My wife has pretty severe rheumatoid arthritis. Commercial defensive rounds in our 17 oz .38 revolver have far too much recoil for her hands. (Heavier guns are problematic as well.)

I reload 38 special with 158gr SWC and Bullseye powder. So I've loaded some for my wife to try with 3.0gr BE (reduced from my target loads which use 3.5gr BE) I need to try these myself at a range first to assess whether I think my wife can handle them.

Going down this road, she'll end up using my hand loads for HD and perhaps carry (we haven't crossed that bridge yet). But these are weak target loads. Would she be better off with CCI stingers in a good .22 revolver? Or are the light 38 hand loads a reasonable approach for her defensive purposes?

Opinions appreciated!

With RA a double action anything is probably going to be hard to handle. She might be better off with a 20ga shotgun for HD loaded with bird shot maybe 7/8oz. If money is an issue you could get one of those hi-points carbines in 45acp(if you can find one).

I'm no expert but here's my theory:

I read somewhere that 90% of attacks are pretty much stopped when a gun is pulled. 99% are probably stopped after the first shot, whether or not the bad guy is hit. I can't find the link to back that up but I think it makes sense anyway.

I read somewhere else that most gunshot victims die of blood loss, not catastrophic organ trauma. The goal is to stop, not kill, but dead bad guys are the safest kind to be around. Following that logic, you either need big holes or a lot of them. Just making a hole is the primary goal.

I'd say that you're better off with a .22 if there's any question about her ability to continue firing the .38. Plus, you might be able to get a 9 shot revolver in .22

If she can shoot a revolver accurately and comfortably with the exception of recoil, and she feels confident with one perhaps you should take a look at some of the .32 Long revolvers floating around. A friend and I have had great success introducing new shooters with a S&W Model 31.

Back
Top Bottom