Moon phases

strokin99

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
178   0
Reaction score
Anyone hunt the moon phases. I have a GPS that tells you the moon phases each day. Just curious if anyone hunts deer by these times. I don't live by them but I do use them from time to time. Two weeks the times were right on the money for deer activity.

I pay attention of them and figure that if a deer has enough moonlight at night that they will be moving at night but there are also other factors like temp and wind. Just remember, you can kill a deer if your not in the woods. Please, no comments about hitting one with a car

Yeah two weeks ago Prime time was 4pm-6pm. I got in the woods at 6:30 but I jump 2 deer right at the stand. If I was there earlier I would have bagged one. The next day prime time was 10am-noon. I was sitting in the stand by 10:30 and my son shot a 6 pointer at 11am. On a full moon I usally hunt in the mid afternoon.

"Even a stopped watch is right twice a day." There are sometimes I plan by the moon. If it is full and up in the sky in the afternoon, I hunt the evening. If it is full and clear all night, I hunt mid-day. If it is full the last week of October, I don't bother hunting deer. And if its full and cold or getting colder, I don't bother hunting coon.

I have been succesful using moon times(tide chart) for over 30 years. To get you started there will always(almost) be a few deer feed at daybreak & dusk. But the major feeding times are by the moon. #1 deer feed usully everey 12 hours , weather permitting & no pressure on them, also no rut. The rest of the time they lie around in a safe bedding area & chew there cud. #2 deer feed on the full moon at 12:00 am &12:00 pm ., then every day after that the times change due to the phase of the moon.. That is enough to get you started on the correct track.

ONE THING YOU CAN NOT SHOOT DEER IF YOU SARE NOT IN THE WOODS

Back
Top Bottom