• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My DPMS LR308 Review

pkdragon25

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
myDPMS.jpg
Many people have asked me to do a review on my recent purchase of my DPMS LR308. So here we are on my first ever review. I hope you all enjoy.
I’ve recently purchased my DPMS LR308 from a local gun store here in Cartersville. The pricing wasn’t bad at all at a total of $1159 that included the Rifle, case, User Manual, 2 twenty round magazines, 3x9 scope with flip up sight covers and bore flag.
The case is a hard plastic case that is adequate enough to carry the weapon. The latches that hold the case together seem to be good, but may become flimsy as wear and tear sets in. Also included is an option to be able to lock the case with a standard pad lock of your choice. Inside the case is cushioned with a free floating thin layer of eggshell padding to protect your weapon. For a starter case I think it will suffice, but I would consider upgrading the case at your leisure.
The magazines that were included are your standard AR Magazine design for your 308 caliber shells. They take apart the same way as any other AR magazines with bottom plat cover followed by the spring. They seem to be durable and loading ammo seems to be very easy to do.
As for the AR itself, she has a 16” barrel with an odyssey 3-9x44 scope and a DPMS collapsible stock. When I first brought her home she was slap full of oil. I’m guessing for long term storage applications. So I decided to take her apart and give her a good once over to get her ready to put some rounds down range. Taking it apart was relatively easy since I have experience with these types of weapons. The only thing that was sticky was the front receiver retaining pin. But with a little push with a wooden object it was a quick fix. Once cleaned putting it back together is a snap. If you don’t have experience with this type of weapon system I would recommend a part list map. I have posted an example for you below. You don’t want to lose any parts considering that some of them a relatively small. Once I put her back together I applied a very light coat to the bolt carrier group. Slapped her back together and was ready for the range.
Poster-M16A1-Rifle-Field-Stripped-Chart-1-36X54-Sample.jpg
My intentions on the range were to get my shot group together and sight my scope at the same time. I was using Tulammo steel casing 150gr ammo. This was relatively inexpensive, going for around $11 a box. I will never use this ammo again. (I’ll explain why here in a bit) The magazine loaded really easy and was a nice fit in the magazine well. Once locked, the slide released and the forward assist tapped, she was ready to start shooting. I fired approximately 20 rounds down range with no jamming, no misfeeds and no extractions issues. She is running like a champ. The kick wasn’t what I was suspecting. I was expecting like my old 5.56 m16-a2 or just a slight more. But believe me. I shot my father in laws 270 bolt action that day, and I am glad for the recoil spring in mine. The only issue I had was on my part. I didn’t bore sight the scope. So needless to say I got 7/20 rounds on the target and it was at the bottom right. After consulting with another shooter at the range with another 308 AR. He fired the same rounds I did and couldn’t get a good tight shot group. So hence the reason I will never go back to that ammo, even if it is just to put rounds down range. So that’s my review on my DPMS LR308. Hope y’all enjoy and please leave me comments.

Thanks, not sure how the blackouts are compared to DPMS. But I hope this gives you an idea on DPMS though. I tried to be as thorough as time permits., but work full time, school full time and 5 kids tend to take up a lot of my time. The only issues I had on first day out was cheap ammo and not having the scope bore sighted. Which is all my fault, not the weapons. I'm bore sighting it this weekend. Picked up some better ammo and i'll probably be back at the range the following weekend. I'll probably do a day 2 review and hopefully she'll come out better.

Thanks for the review.... I just picked up a LR308 AP4 last night.... Have you looked into any mods for it? A friend of mine who is into shooting (some hunting also) indicated the trigger is the first thing he would replace....

I haven't looked for any mods for it yet. The trigger squeeze for me is just fine. some people likes a hairy trigger, I like the fullness of mine. with enough practice you can eliminate the trigger squeeze out of the equation.

Back
Top Bottom