• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My philosophy towards handloading and upcoming decisions.

XD9SC

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
5   0
Reaction score
The reason why I started to handload last year was to set up the infrastructure to create my own ammo to pad myself from any possible current or future legislation.

I of course enjoy the lower cost and better quality of the ammo I can make but that is not my main reason for handloading.

I am starting to think about casting my own bullets as this would help me with my philosophy towards handloading and I am looking for some insight.

- A question I have run into is: If you are going to use cast lead bullets does it make sense to cast heavier for caliber bullets? Is it really the velocity that causes the lead bullets to start leading the barrel or is just the force in general.

- Another question: I have a strong desire to cast hollow point bullets. I have seen bullet molds on line that have a insert to create a hollow cavity. Can one take the insert out and create non hollow point also or does one need to buy two different molds?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

The reason why I started to handload last year was to set up the infrastructure to create my own ammo to pad myself from any possible current or future legislation.

I of course enjoy the lower cost and better quality of the ammo I can make but that is not my main reason for handloading.

I am starting to think about casting my own bullets as this would help me with my philosophy towards handloading and I am looking for some insight.

- A question I have run into is: If you are going to use cast lead bullets does it make sense to cast heavier for caliber bullets? Is it really the velocity that causes the lead bullets to start leading the barrel or is just the force in general.

- Another question: I have a strong desire to cast hollow point bullets. I have seen bullet molds on line that have a insert to create a hollow cavity. Can one take the insert out and create non hollow point also or does one need to buy two different molds?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Leading from cast is mainly caused by mismatched bullet/load combinations. If you are using a harder bullet the load needs to be hotter. In other words the pressure in the chamber needs to enough to expand the base of the bullet to prevent the hot gas from getting by. The lube on the bullet helps with this. A softer lead mix needs less pressure to expand the base to seal the chamber. A "hard" bullet is not always the best, unless you use gas checks.

Bullet casting is both frustrating, and rewarding. You can make mistakes that can ruin your range trip. And, you can shoot at the range for easily a fourth of the cost of the guy next to you shooting his factory ammo.

The website above has tons of info. You'll be well rewarded by investing the time to explore the topics before you purchase any gear. You'll probably see that several things such as fit, lube, hardness and velocity can cause leading in your barriels.

To answer your other question, there are custom molds that have removeable pins that allow for either a hollow point, or a bullet with no hollow point, all with the change of a pin.

I'd ask you to consider starting with Lyman's cast bullet handbook.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom