**Need blade sharpened**

My dad is a master knife sharpener, however you'd have the ship it to him or wait til I go up next month.

I never learned how to properly sharpen a blade by hand. Never got the knack no matter how many hours I tried.

I use a Chef's Mate 150 I think and it does a great job. Even has a steel function if you plan on using the blades on meat/etc.

When trying to sharpen are you moving the knife from hilt to tip or from tip to hilt?

Hilt to tip like the instructions say. But the sharpener does all the work. Best investment I ever made!

The circular method I used would get a good edge but could never get razor sharp like my Chef Mate can.

At the time I don't think I understood bur and such. Now the machine does everything for me.

The circular method I used would get a good edge but could never get razor sharp like my Chef Mate can.

At the time I don't think I understood bur and such. Now the machine does everything for me.

Gotcha, if it works for you stay with it.

Here is a tip if you want to try free hand again:

Start from the tip and work to the hilt of the blade. When starting at the tip slightly elevate the handle and lower when working towards the hilt. Make sure to keep the blade at the same angle on both sides of the blade.

It is easier to sharpen one side until you get a slight consistent burr across the entire blade and then just strop the burr off from the other side.

Back
Top Bottom