• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need help/gunsmith for M44 Sticky Bolt

bartski

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Survivalist
Reaction score
I'm in need of outside help with a 1945 Mosin M44 with an extractor issue. I purchased the rifle 2 or 3 years ago from AIM Surplus. My wife and I had a kid and I never got around to firing it.

Now that I've taken it to the range, I find that the bolt won't close on a round. The bolt operates smoothly with an empty chamber. I've tried the common fixes to no avail.

So, I'm looking for a gunsmith in the Northeast Atlanta area that can sort it out without too much cost.

you might just need a new bolt head for the bolt, it's a common problem that can be fixed in 30 seconds or less. the bolt head is the expensive part

you might just need a new bolt head for the bolt, it's a common problem that can be fixed in 30 seconds or less. the bolt head is the expensive part

Yep, If there's no hardened cosmoline in the chamber, then that's almost always the cause.
Order one with the extractor already installed, lots of easy to follow youtube videos out there on how to disassemble the bolt

Thanks for the tips.. I've owned a few and have been through the cosmoline removal, but I won't rule it out! The annoying thing with this one is that it came with a book showing it's been factory tested. It's a really nice refurb, but worthless if it won't fire.

Back
Top Bottom