• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need input from 1911 guys on Federal Ordnance frame.

57tr6

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
84   0
Reaction score
Have a 1911 Federal Ordnance alloy frame which looks to be in good condition. My question is should I build on it or not. It was basically a give me along with a colt slide, barrel, and lots of small parts so I really have very little invested in it. What do you old time 1911 guys think?

I was hoping someone with firsthand knowledge would answer this. I had to look it up but Federal Ordnance is out of business and made USGI type pistols and rifles. There was a reason it went out of business and issues of Q/A are repeated. I would take some accurate measurements of the frame before committing to a build for it. It's the foundation of a gun and an out of spec frame will give you nothing but headaches and be a costly adventure.

You can get a foster frame $138 now (Caspian minor blem) and often on sale (inexpensive). You won't be dissatisfied.

http://www.fosterind.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=53

I have a federal ordnance ranger lite and I have had no issues. I too have read that there were qc problems, but in my situation there is nothing wrong with the frame.

seen and used the steel FO frames in the past and they were ....Ok , but never messed with their aluminum frames.. be sure the feed ramp has not been over polished....this can remove the hard surface and give you fits.

Hey if it was free... might be fine to build up a project with it or sell it and go get one of the fosters frames...Easily the best cast frame out there. they come from Pine Tree casting(Ruger) same frame that Ruger is using on their new 1911

we've built many 1911s off their frames and dimensionally they are excellent..many times they are perfect frames just overruns

Back
Top Bottom