• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Nubie question: Filling application for SBR with chance I may move out of state...

ocean_glocker

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
140   0
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I'm picking up a lower, and slowly collecting the pieces I need for a build. And knowing how long it's going to take to collect the pieces I'm thinking about just going the SBR route since the tax stamp may be in before I finish (I'm paying cash for things in time, not using CCs).

So my question is this. There is a very good chance that I may be moving to VA toward the end of the year depending on how long my clearance takes. So what would happen if I start my application now and the stamp doesn't come through until after I move? Could I still pick it up? Do I have to move the Trust (I'm thinking of going this route)? Can you move a Trust?

Thanks for the help!

You fill out the transporting form (can't remember the number right now) and check "will not return to original location" or whatever it is in the top right box. When I moved in-state, I called them and told them I was worried about my stamp getting lost in mail forwarding, and they approved it on the spot...quickest approval I ever had.

Regarding the trust no changes necessary unless there are specific VA state requirements regarding a trust such as filing with the county you reside in, how something should be worded, etc. I would just check with a lawyer in VA.

If you're moving before the approval comes back. I would call the examiner a month prior to the move and see what she suggest. Most likely she will expedite your form to approve it and you will have to fill out a form 20 aka travel form and you would mark that the firearm won't relocate back to original location.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom