Ok, where are the Duramax gurus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linebacker

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
144   0
Reaction score
I'm currently in Texas broken down. At 70 mph, my alternator pulley came off and decided to rapidly shred my serpentine belt. This leaves you without power steering, power brakes and no a/c. Luckily, I was at an exit and pulled off of the interstate. I opened the hood and immediately saw the problem. I have tried since 11 am to get someone to come out and replace my alternator and belt and can't get anybody to come out and do it. My roadside assistance does not pay for someone to come to fix my vehicle, it only pays for it to be towed to a place of business so that it can be repaired. They will also come and change a tire or bring me 5 gallons of fuel if needed.
So I got a room here and tomorrow, I am planning on using my roadside assistance to tow my truck to either a shop or dealership close by and get them to replace the alternator and serpentine belt. I will only use GM or NAPA for the parts. What do you think that they will charge me to replace the items in question and to clean all of the rubber gum out of the pulleys before they put the new belt on?

"I will only use GM or NAPA for the parts."

Means Monday morning at the earliest.

Depending on year model there are at least 2 different alternators (naturally) it could be. Getting a generic one on a Sunday is doable, but not a Delco.

If you get it replaced for under $400, you are doing well.

And, don't forget, it was an OEM GM part that left you stranded. :thumb:

One bright spot: when I worked at a dealership near an interstate, folks broken down and stranded were always handled first thing when we opened, and we did not rip folks off.

I imagine you will find the same in most of Texas. Good luck.

eta: I still remember the look on a driver's face that had the hood fly up at 70 miles an hour. Saw it happen to 3 different people over the years, and the look was always the same.

tow it to autozone or advance. borrow the tools,install it your self and hit the road.
my 05 lly has one of the easiest ones to change. napa parts never din anything but cost more money (in my opinion). just my two cents..

the toughest serpentine belt I ever changed required removing the upper radiator hose to snake it through...

I think the only tool you need is a 1/2" breaker bar

Typically there is a diagram how the belt should run. Any half decent parts shop should be able to get a belt.

Route the belt around everything (especially the stuff that is hard to see) There is a place on the tensioner for a square drive (usually a breaker bar) to compress the tensioner to loop the belt over the last obstacle.

I would google around for a shop that uses NAPA parts and read the online reviews. They seem to charge a little more but also seem to have a better reputation. At least around here they do. No way I will ever put advance or autozone junk on my truck. You can search using the link below (also has a nationwide warranty)

http://www.napaautocare.com/

I would get a 1/2" breaker bar and any F***ing belt that will fit, from anyone who is open. I would install the pos belt and swap it out later if you need a F***ing napa belt later.

I certainly wouldn't sit around with my thumb up my nose waiting for someone to change it for me.

unless you are in a wheel chair. Or don't have two hands with working fingers and thumbs, It's just not that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom