Prism sights, low light

howl

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
26   0
Reaction score
We have some $100 6x30 binoculars around here that will show you a deer 30 minutes after sunset on a bait plot. It takes a lot more than $100 to get a scope that will do that. I've got a Burris MTAC on an AR that my daughter uses that's more like 25 minutes after sunset. Sometimes it'll make it the whole way, but not always.

This makes me wonder is the prismatic sights, which are somewhat like a binocular in construction may have a low light advantange. I see Burris and Swampfox have some lightweight options. How about it? Anyone got direct experience to share?

The question is whether prism sights are similarly brighter than scopes, as are binos. The difference seems like it could be less light lost to lenses. Direct experience is what I'm looking for here.
Internal-assemblies-of-a-telescopic-rifle-scope-675x194.jpg
Prism-Sight-e1539786913999.png
Roof_vs_Porro_Diagram.jpg

Additionally, with all things being equal, the lower the power, the brighter the image that you’re viewing.

As you increase power on a variable power rifle scope, you decrease the size of the exit pupil. The smaller the exit pupil, the darker the image.

The binos are 6x. What power was the scope on?

You can hunt a little earlier in the morning, and later in the evening, by dialing the power down on your scope.

I've got a 3X prism I've hunted with at a few spots that I didn't have more than a 100 yard shot and haven't had any problems. Never compared them to bino's but I like hunting with it.

Usually the image through a scope will get brighter as you increase magnification until the exit pupil gets smaller than what your eye will accept. If you're hunting with a 3-9x40, it'll give you a brighter image at about 5x than 3x. That's not really the topic, though.

This one has been interesting. Thanks for bearing with me as I attempted to walk my way through it by typing out thoughts…….or not.

I hit up 3 friends that are professionals in the “high end” optics business. One of them came back with this response.

“Prismatic optics have fewer lenses, so the light doesn’t have to travel through so many objects. They tend to be more compact/shorter, so the light doesn’t have to travel as far to reach eye.

With that said, the better the optical system, i.e. glass The better the image can be, even if it is put up against a prismatic scope.”

Makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom