"Publicly owned building"

Yeah, I'd assume so. But if you want a more accurate answer, or if you want to find a way to argue that "public buildings" is not the same thing as "government buildings" in Georgia law, we'd need to know where you found this phrase "government buildings." Is that in O.C.G.A. ? Is there a definitions section in that part of the law? Are there any reported court cases that shed light on that phrase, with a citation back to that code section?

It could be that a term found in one Code section means one thing, but that same word or phrase, when used in a different code section, has a different meaning.
Consider, for example, what is a "weapon" for the purposes of 16-11-127 versus what is a "weapon" when the school law is at issue, 16-11-127.1

Also, consider whether the State of Georgia can be presumed to include federal government buildings, too, as contrasted with just state, county, and city-owned (or leased) buildings. That's an area where the law isn't clear, and the first appellate court case to deal with it ("public buildings") could go either way.
The 16-11-127 definition of "government buildings" for the purpose of gun control laws does not include federal buildings.

Ok all you legal eagles, what does that mean? Is that legalese for government buildings?

Maybe :der:

"government: buildings are usually pretty easy, it's the quasi-gov't buildings that are up in the air.

For example, we have a convention center that is pretty clearly "public owned" but operated by a separate board. I'm pretty comfortable with CCW there, but not sure everyone shares my opinion.

You have so many "authorities" and "private/public partnerships" that there is just no one size fits all, easy answer

Case in point, the new Braves stadium. It's pretty clearly publicly owned, but I bet you will play heck trying to CCW there.

Back
Top Bottom