Question on free float rail

user 71

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
92   0
Reaction score
On one of my recent AR builds, I have a low profile gas block under a midwest industries ss rail. It fits but the bottom of the gas block firmly touches the inside of the rail.

Does this defeat the accuracy gains of free floating the hand guard?

Are you having accuracy problems? If you are grouping well and hitting what you are shooting at, I'd say "it ain't broke. Don't fix it". If you are grouping well for a few shots and then not so well after it warms up, then I'd say you might need to rethink the gas block.

It's a new build and I haven't shot it yet. It was bothering me but I had a skinnier gas block left over from another build that fit nicely so I guess all is well.

It's a new build and I haven't shot it yet. It was bothering me but I had a skinnier gas block left over from another build that fit nicely so I guess all is well.

Honestly, that would bug the crap out of me. It could potentially affect POI with tension on the rail and defeats the purpose of a free float rail. Some of the really slim rails require a really low profile gas block. I've had good luck with the Vltor and Sadlak Industries gas blocks.

It was a midwest industries SS gen 2 -very narrow, sleek, and sexy. But you have to use a screw in, low profile type. I prefer clamp ons but the low pro clamp didn't have enough clearance.

I would imagine it would add pressure on the rail and defeats the purpose of a free floating rail.

It was a midwest industries SS gen 2 -very narrow, sleek, and sexy. But you have to use a screw in, low profile type. I prefer clamp ons but the low pro clamp didn't have enough clearance.

Didn't realize that you were using a clamp on gas block. No wonder you were having clearance issues. Did you swap it out for a set screw gas block?

Didn't realize that you were using a clamp on gas block. No wonder you were having clearance issues. Did you swap it out for a set screw gas block?

Yet went back to set screw low pro after I dimpled the barrel. Didn't really want to dimple unless I had to but...oh well.

The clamp on fit but touched the inside of the rail on the bottom of the block.

Back
Top Bottom