• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reblueing

ATLEMT

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
52   0
Reaction score
I have a friends Winchester model 1912. It was her late fathers and had been neglected for many years. I've got her cleaned up but the blueing is all but gone. I've done duracoat and other similar stuff but this I want blued like it was originally. Is this something I can do at home or do I need a professional do it? If so who around Atlanta can Reblue it and how much should I expect to pay?

I've done a couple with the Hoppes gun blue kit. I used hot water with the kit and got very good results. Any time you refinish a firearm Prep prep prep prep prep prep.
Both of these were done with the Hoppes kit over a decade ago. The Enfield was Bubbaized and painted black and the Ruger was just plain neglected prior to the refinish. It took quite a few coats to get em like this.
[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
Does the kit give you instructions to go by? Like prep for the gun barrel or anything ? Got a old shotgun I was wanting to try it on.

Yes instructions are with the kit and I have done several long guns with one kit. Typically these kits are used for touch up but I have had very good results doing whole guns with it. They don't include a whole lot of denatured alcohol which is used for degreasing and removing oil so I bought some extra at Home Depot to be absolutely sure there was no oil left. I also got the metal pretty hot using hot tap water to open the pores similar to seasoning a cast iron skillet during the application and rinse process, and had great results.
Here's a link
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/339561/hoppes-9-gun-blue-cold-blue-kit

you're gonna need to get the metal very warm again when you're done to open the pores and get it to soak up some gun oil. Again similar to seasoning a skillet, it just works better when the matal is hot (not excessively)
Good luck

Last edited:
i have a 1912 been in my family since new in 1914. I just spent a week preserving and rescuing it. i WOULD NOT try and reblue it. that aged Nickel looks awesome if you ask me. all i did on mine was attack it with some 0000 steel wool, CLP, and hours and hours of TLC. those are great guns and i still shoot mine. If you have any questions or run into anything you have a question about on it, feel free to PM me.

I too would recommend some CLP and fine steel wool on a family heirloom. The guns I blued look very good now but I started with some cheap gun show beaters, not family heirlooms. Nothing wrong with patina and honest wear on such items. It's what gives em character. A home blue job is not going to match a factory job and would most likely completely devalue them.

Back
Top Bottom