• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger Gunsite Scout

grainchaser

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
143   0
Reaction score
I have had my RGS for a little over a month and have been to the range with it four or five times, firing about 500 rounds through it. I have shot a mixture of factory ammo from Remington, Hornady, Federal, Winchester, milsurp 7.62 x 51 (CBC) as well as handloads. Overall I am very impressed with this rifle.

When I first handled the gun at the gun shop, I thought what an ugly beast. The ugliness grew on me and I had to have it. The gun feels light and balanced and the checkering is superb and grippy. It shoulders nicely and the sight picture is quick. Due to my size, I used all the supplied spacers to adjust the length of pull.

The fit and finish are excellent. The action cycles nicely, albeit there is a little slop (I have to wonder if all Mauser style actions are like this, as there is slop on my Czech 98/22). Of all the times fired, I did not experience any binding or feed failures, although a few rounds of the CBC milsurp required a great effort to fully lift the bolt for extraction.

The supplied magazine, an Accuracy International 10 round metal magazine, leaves a bit to be desired. It is harder to load than the polymer magazines, fits poorly in the magazine well and sometimes I have to fiddle with the first round to reposition it before cycling the bolt. I prefer the polymer magazines.

Out of the box shooting factory 150 grain Remington ammunition, the gun shot 2" groups at 100 yards with the open sights. I attribute this to my aging eyes and the yammering fool next to me on the firing line. When I settled in and was concentrating better the gun shot 1.5" groups at the same distance. What impressed me the most was the consistent grouping. I suspect with an optic and finding the right load, this will be a MOA gun.

All in all, I really like this rifle. I intend to keep it with the iron sights and use it to hunt hogs and target shoot.

Good write up man. Ive got one, but recently changed the rear scope set up with an EER Bushnell scoupe scope up front. Gotta sight that one in and see how different the weapon feels as thats more of what it was intended for.

Rugers are a little sloppy, but its a feature of most. It takes a good bit more metal at the rear of the action to fix that. Compare to a Tikka or even an Enfield to see something different.

Kaotic and Beemer, have you fired any 7.62 x 51 through your rifle? I was actually very disconcerted by the effort it took to extract a few of those 7.62 CBC's the last time out. I have had zero issues with commercial .308 ammo or my .308 handloads. I also noticed the milsurp brass literally made my sizing die (Hornady) groan and creak when decapping/sizing the brass and I had to use significantly more effort to cycle the ram. Anyone have any insight?

Nice write up. Been wanting a Ruger Scout rifle for a while now, but just haven't been able to find one.

Glad to have another Local guy on the ODT.

Back
Top Bottom