• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger MKIII 22/45 Modifications

RockRiver

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
4   0
Reaction score
Well, I'm almost done with my 22/45!

I have done many modifications to this little gun and it has become quite the shooter!

I have removed the magazine safety so that the magazines now drop freely, I have replaced the standard mk III bushings with a VQ mk II bushing (I had fabbed up some washers so that the standard bushing would work but I somehow lost the bushing so I went ahead and ordered the VQ one).

I stoned and polished the sear and hammer, and replaced the factory trigger return spring with one from a retractable ink pen, resulting in a light trigger pull approx. 2.5lb. I also installed a set screw for overtravel and drilled and tapped for a 6-40 set screw for the pretravel. It still has a bit of pretravel, because the trigger wont reset otherwise. (I'm still unsure as to why this is or how to fix it).

I then took the detent and detent spring out of the bolt stop so that I can now slingshot the bolt closed. I installed a small spring that goes around the trigger pin and pushes down on the bolt stop so it actually functions like a bolt stop is supposed to now... I don't know why ruger used a detent in the bolt stop, it seems a bit stupid to me.

Then, since I hated the factory plastic grips, put a 1/2" endmill in the drill press, and used a machiner's vise to destroy...I mean mill off the standard grip panels.

[Broken External Image]:

Then, I drilled holes and installed standard 1911 bushings....

[Broken External Image]:

And installed these grips from Duragrips.com!

[Broken External Image]:

Still can't decide if I like the grips or not, what do you guys think?
Final Product:

[Broken External Image]:

Back
Top Bottom