• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger SR40c

Lineman73

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
0   0
Reaction score
I picked up a Ruger SR40c at the Eastman Gun Show at the North Atlanta Trade Center, in November (pause to allow time for booing) I bought it to replace the Taurus 740 Slim that I sold on the way in the show. My intent in purchasing the 740 was to have a small, easy to carry personal defense pistol. The 740 had the perfect size and weight for that purpose, however an absolutely horrible trigger (that nothing could be done about) ended it's career with me. Enter the SR40c!!

On first inspection, I found the SR40c to be devishly good looking. The satin finished stainless slide with laser etched "SR40c" on the left side made a nice contrast to the black polymer frame. The fit and finish of all parts were good and up to expected Ruger standards. The sights were good, with an adjustable rear sight (mine was off to the left a bit from the factory). Both sights had white highlights--night sights would have been better. It comes with two magazines--a ten rounder with interchangeable flat and finger extension bases and a 15 rounder with a grip extension. I installed the flat base, as concealed carry was my intended purpose for the pistol. A thumb safety is provided as an additional safeguard.

At the range, the the SR functioned flawlessly. No failure to do anything!! It ate up 165 and 180 grain .40 S&W rounds like they were cheap--FMJ and hollow points!! I put 150 rounds through it without a hitch. The only beef I had was a fairly heavy, stiff, gritty trigger!

Unlike the Taurus, there is a cure for this!! I accessed the Ruger Forum and chased down what was needed---The Ghost trigger bar connector and polished aluminum striker cap. I sent off for the kit from Galloway Precision and three days and 35 minutes worth of gunsmithing time (mine), I had, as the manufacturer says, a GHOSTMAKER! This trigger is a pleasure to pull now. Yes, I am a trigger snob, but the Ruger/Ghost combo makes this thing a real CCW dream!! As I now carry it, this is an ideal small, powerful, concealed carry pistol!

Thanks Ruger!! Ya done good!!

Very good to hear this. I bought one but haven't decided to keep it. It was part of a deal with another gun and a friend. I've kept it in the box but I may go out and give it a shot(bad pun and all) next week. I can confirm that it loks and feels great. I just haven't shot it yet.

Nice review! Thanks.

Very good to hear this. I bought one but haven't decided to keep it. It was part of a deal with another gun and a friend. I've kept it in the box but I may go out and give it a shot(bad pun and all) next week. I can confirm that it loks and feels great. I just haven't shot it yet.

Nice review! Thanks.

Man, you still haven't made up your mind about it? lol I love those Rugers SR series. Best $400 pistols IMO.

Back
Top Bottom