• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Russian Scope Theory

sneakynoshoulders

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
i have recently become the proud owner of an sks. i put an ncstar scope mount on it. ive noticed the scope sits very high, and its a little awkward to use. i have a friend with an sks, different scope mount, same issue. i have another friend with an ak that he put a dragunov-style scope on, he too has the same issue. i called a friend of mine who was a dm for us in iraq, and he told me something about when the russians would mount scopes they would mount them high and use the right (or dominant) eye for the iron sights, and would look through the scope with the off eye. i tried this out, and it actually works. i really didnt put a lot of effort into it, but the other day i just kind of browsed around online trying to find out more about this shooting method, and didnt really come up with much. just kind of curious if anyone else has this knowledge and how much truth is behind it?

I've never heard of that and if you didn't find it on the internet it must not be true...

But in all seriousness it sure does seem like a logical explination.

Many of the bootleg mounts you see do sit up high. Quality mounts do not. Ive never had a problem out of my PSL with distance. Check out these mounts and you will see that they sit lower. Most of the mounts you see on SKS rifles are just top covers. Cheap to make and cost nothing. You get what you pay for.

Check these out. Mount a POSP scope on there and your good to go
http://kalinkaoptics.com/firearm-accessories/side-rails/molot-sks-original-rail-with-rivets.html

thanks man. i saw those the other day because i am looking for a side mount. i dont have a problem with distance at all with the cover setup, it just felt a little awkward, so i started asking around. i get what you mean about the cheapness too, very true. i was just looking for something that worked, and the reviews for that set up were pretty good. someone showed me another side mount, thats supposed to be pretty good too.

I use a "chin-weld" on my PSL. It's a little awkward at first, but after getting used to it, it is just fine. I've read about the left-eye method but haven't tried it.

I have ordered the low-profile centered Weaver mount from Kalinka so I can attach one of my high magnification scopes. Four power just isn't enough for me.

Not sure about the low-profile, but I think you can with the regular profile...I'll let you know when mine arrives!

i like what i see, but can you still use iron sights on these?

Yes. The scope sits off to the side.

- - - Updated - - -

I use a "chin-weld" on my PSL. It's a little awkward at first, but after getting used to it, it is just fine. I've read about the left-eye method but haven't tried it.

I have ordered the low-profile centered Weaver mount from Kalinka so I can attach one of my high magnification scopes. Four power just isn't enough for me.
I use a chin weld also. You have to on the psl. Takes getting use to but it's the only scoped rifle I own so I don't have to break old habits.

Back
Top Bottom