• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sad Day Today

willr1

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
33   0
Reaction score
Today, my father and I went to Ft.McPherson in East Point and played the last round of golf on that course forever. The base is closing and the course will be turned into condo's. This was my birthday gift from last week and since we dont get much time to hang out anymore due to distance and life, I jumped at the chance to play at my fondest and most memorable course.
It was the first course my father took me to when I was around 10 or so, where I could hit the ball "forwardish" and not run around side to side chasing it. We spent many years out there, even when he was stationed out of state, when he came in town, we would go. Now that I live almost an hour away, I still try once a year to go there and play a round with him.

I didnt keep score and neither did he, we just went and had a great time and talked about the time I tried to move a "rope" near my ball near a water hazard until it slithered away in the water and how once I hit an MP's car on a huge slice I had. Great times and now just memories. As we drove away, the base looked like a ghost town, to know that Patton and the 3rd Army HQ was there and now for it to be sold and torn down just made me sad, to see a piece of my boyhood memories be just that

Consider yourself very fortunate.....I'd give anything just to be able see my father again, let alone spend an afternoon with him. Its been almost 4yrs since his passing and a day doesn't go by that I don't think of him.

On another note....I hope they make something nice of the place and it doesn't turn into a Techwood.

Consider yourself very fortunate.....I'd give anything just to be able see my father again, let alone spend an afternoon with him. Its been almost 4yrs since his passing and a day doesn't go by that I don't think of him.

On another note....I hope they make something nice of the place and it doesn't turn into a Techwood.

It's going to turn to trash just like the rest of East point

It's going to turn to trash just like the rest of East point

Dang, and I thought I was a pessimist! Lol
My wife calls me a pessimist and I have to correct her each time......I'm not a pessimist honey, I'm an optimist with lot's of experience!

Last edited:
yea, I appreciate it and I do cherrish the time I have with him since he's no spring chicken anymore and his back is going out on him, so this might be the last year or two we can play golf. The base is going to be nice for a year, then it will turn into what East Point is, huge Federally Funded housing system and all in the name of consolidation of bases

yea, I appreciate it and I do cherrish the time I have with him since he's no spring chicken anymore and his back is going out on him, so this might be the last year or two we can play golf. The base is going to be nice for a year, then it will turn into what East Point is, huge Federally Funded housing system and all in the name of consolidation of bases

This +1000

Back
Top Bottom