Saw a monster buck this saturday.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
Interesting thing happened this Saturday while in Blue Ridge WMA.

I was in my tree stand and found a nice spot at the top of a ridge that was gently sloped on one side and very steep on the other.
It was very windy if you were out there.

Around 12:00, just for the heck of it, I decided to make two quick bleeps with my doe bleat when the wind quit blowing.

Within 30 seconds I noticed out of the corner of my eye a giant buck with a monster rack coming up the steep part of the hill very fast.

Fella's this thing was a freaking monster buck with extremely fat tines and a wide spread.

He was about 70 yards away from me to my right and there were too many obstructions between us not to mention the range was not the greatest for landing a great shot with a crossbow and I did not want to chance missing or wounding this creature.

He immediately crouched down a bit one he got next to a large dead log and stopped there, then slowly walked up the slope and disappeared behind some brush.
My chest was pumpin pretty hard at this point and I did not want to take my scope off of him and lose him so I kept looking for movement.then all of the sudden I saw him- he turned left was headed closer to my direction and he turned down the hill and was headed straight towards me stopping every two or three steps cautiously. And let me tell you, when he stopped it was hard to see him but luckily those bright antlers gave him away because it's the only thing you could see and they were not hard to miss.
He stopped near some brush that made it hard to make out even his antlers so I patiently waited and eagerly watched for movement with my eye through my scope....looking for him to keep coming, BUT fella's he just completely vanished.

I had to slowly lay the crossbow on the rest to give my arm a break because at this point it weighed 100 pounds.

I slowly started glassing for him and scanned the entire area and surrounding areas looking for him.....nothing....pooof......gone.....I was hoping he laid down and was looking for her movement but unless he dug a hole and jumped into it, he was gone.

I was very surprised he came chasing after a doe this early in the season but figured he must have been just checking his territory and was curious.
He did not get this big from being stupid I'll tell you that...he was smart and knew exactly how to keep his body behind trees/logs every time he stopped.

He only moved when the wind blew and stopped behind something big when the wind stopped.

Probably heard my heart jumping out of my chest with excitement and it scared him off.

Anyways that evening when I got out of my stand I went to check out his prints and they were freaking monstrous and all over the place so I definitely think I was in his playground and something told me I was in a killer spot when I came upon it before daybreak.

Needless to say I will definitely be going back there for another chance but I wish rifle season was in because instead I would be showing off trophy pics instead of whining like a baby. he, he.

Back
Top Bottom