Shipping Container

drsmile

Default rank <2000 posts Sponsor
Master Extractor
162   0
Reaction score
This is not really a survival thread, but I figured the folks that frequent this section would be most likely to help. I have some land in GA that I need some storage on for ATVs, supplies, tractor, etc... Has anyone used a shipping container in this fashion? What is the best and easiest way to create a foundation to place one on (thinking cross ties). I think all I need is a 20', but the 40' is tempting. Ballpark life expectancy of a good condition container - 30yrs?? There are multiple Atl based companies that sell and deliver these - has anyone used one and have a review??

Thx

We use them for storage at work, had some for 5+ years with nothing more than surface rust. I would imagine as long as as you put it on a slab instead of the ground and blast off any rust and keep it painted it would last longer than any of us.

Yea I put a 20 footer in my back yard. I put the front on cap blocks the back is on a stack of about 6 cement blocks. Just supported on the 4 corners. I had a storage unit for about 3 years packed with good junk. I got sick of making the rent check every month. I got mine about a year ago. It's packed. Get the biggest you can afford. You will fill it up.

You can find them on ebay. Also, call around town, the prices do vary between dealers. You'll also need to find out about delivery charge and make sure the truck has enough clearance to enter your property and turnaround. Some trucks have a crane, others just slide the container off the bed so lots of planning is needed if you want it to be in a certain location and facing certain direction.

We poured concrete footing for it to sit on. There are even companies out there that would convert the inside to make it livable.

I lived in one for a few weeks (don't recommend it) in the desert and it's probably still there and will be for 100 yrs.. OTOH, I had one in Panama out in the jungle and we had to repaint fairly often.

It's a metal can and will last as long as rust doesn't eat it.

We had big complexes of them in Iraq. My favorite place had 2 stories with interior stairs and one suspended over an opening.

Brits had a bomb ass bar in and outside of theirs in qatar

I have pulled them over the yrs from various ports around the country. I can tell you the outer shell will last a lifetime as well as the asian apitong ship lap flooring to match. At best I recommend a marine grade paint from sherwin williams or the like to preserve the outer from weather tarnish.

- - - Updated - - -

Very good advise!
Be sure to talk with you insurance carrier about these things of value which are not housed with you and possibly not covered under home owners policy.

Back
Top Bottom