• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great review, I just won an auction on gunbroker last night for one. I have been looking at them ever since I shot my friends awhile back. $360 shipped was the deal I got there and he has another one listed for $319, no reserve right now. Funny how they list on here for $400+ used. Great review and can't wait to get mine!

My wife purchased her first 9mm yesterday at Adventure Outdoors. She looked at many pistols before deciding on a Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm. Adventure Outdoors was selling them for $369.00. They were including a Sig Sauer Weaver mount laser with the purchase.

The pistol comes in a nice case with all the usual paperwork, lock etc. The pistol comes with a single 15 round magazine. It comes with interchangeable grips for large or medium hands. The pistol also has available small grips available.

We took the pistol home, cleaned off the factory grease and re-lubed the pistol. I took it out for an evaluation shoot today and was pleased with the performance. I always take her pistols out for a test run without her so I can evaluate the firearm effectively.

The first couple shots were off considerably but after 4 rounds the pistol settled into a nice tight grouping. After the pistol settled into a nice grouping I slowed down and took aim. I was surprised that the pistol put three rounds in the same hole in the dead center of the paper at 10 yards. I reloaded 6 115gr fmj rounds and shot another grouping. The grouping was also tight on this magazine but I was shooting faster so the rounds did spread out maybe an inch from center of where I was aiming. See photo for exact shot placement. This 10 yard distance is basically the distance from my bedroom door to the living room/front door area of my house so shot placement within that distance is critical for me.

The recoil was very light. I was using a medium powder load pushing 115 grain fmj rounds. I plan to increase the powder charge for target rounds in the future to more closely resemble the recoil from the Hornady XTP self defense rounds I have loaded for this pistol.

Overall, I am pleased with this pistol. I would recommend this pistol to anyone who wants a nice accurate service pistol on a budget. There are no CONS that I can think of that would make me not want this pistol. Any comparable pistol would be at least $100 to $200 higher in price. I have no problem trusting this pistol as my wife's self defense carry gun. She is able to work the slide effectively and likes this pistol. She carried a Sig Mosquito .22lr pistol for a while so this pistol seems familiar to her right out of the box.

Her days of pink pistols are over. She's moving up in the world. I have finally moved her from No-Carry to a Walther P22 to a Sig Sauer Mosquito to a Walther PK380 to a Sig Sauer Pro 2022. I think she will be happy with this one for a while to come.

Now I have to get her to the range to get in some practice with her new pistol.

Pros:

Price: $369 and tax
Free Laser Sight
Nice Box
Easy takedown and assembly.
DA/SA capability
Nice Trigger Pull 10 lbs... 4 lbs...
Smooth pull and a nice easily identifiable breaking point for the trigger that is easy to set up a shot
Large Visible Sight Dots
15 round magazine capacity
Slide Stop Lever is nice
Hammer Drop lever works nicely
Seems to be extremely accurate
Low felt recoil

Cons:

Hammer could be larger
Grip feels like 120 grit sandpaper (Good Grip but I like a smoother grip)
The slide and mag rattles if you shake the pistol. Some people prefer no rattle
The Roll pin holding the firing pin is shiny metal and looks strange and out of place.
No Safety (I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing)
Only 1 magazine included

Photo:
i44.tinypic.com_bi8eh5.jpg

I have an SP2022 9mm and I want a light that does not extend beyond the muzzle. What light is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom