Skeptics: don't think things could get bad in a hurry if comms/power is disrupted?

Guys people who are on income security programs are not going to rise up in some army and attack the rest of us. I seriously do not know where this hilarious idea comes from.

@ Room,,,I hope you're right but I think you underestimate society today...No disrespect. I'm just saying..

One example of society's mind-set today....(definitely not thinking of a plan if things go south) (caution - language)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9VD6Vq_3yY

Another example (short - 38 seconds):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DigiWS1YhxI

Last edited:
Not to be callus, but if something like that happened on a larger scale, perhaps it wouldn't be all that bad. I'm willing to bet a metric S@#t-ton of degenerates and undesirables would be eliminated. Maybe the world would be better off.

A fear of people on income security programs are going to be the last of your concerns.

We will all be in the same boat but nothing a rifle and practice wont fix as far as safety is concerned.

If the government hands out food and your family is hungry you will take it too.

It may get hairy but it is not going to go mad max

Pardon me for saying so, but I find this mindset incredibly naive. While unsaid, your entire argument appears to be predicated on the idea that the government will go on about it's business as usual, and the assistance that many have been born into and entirely depend on will continue without end.

The primary takeaway I got from the article on Bosnia is that things CAN change, they WILL NOT go on as they always have, people WILL take matters into their own hands, and it CAN go "Mad Max".

So those who prep are more likely to be raped and pillaged more than those who don't, or atleast don't make it known? Do you not think anyone besides you knows what you are hiding in your basement? You tell close friends, who tell other friends, etc. One, including myself can say they will be able to defend their home, but I highly doubt one will be able to for long, if you live anywhere there is a good population of people.
very good statement.i for one dont tell anyone about our prepping. my wife and i are the only ones who know what we have.we both have some wacked out relatives,no childern and only her mother left alive.so we will look out for our selfs first and a couple of neighbors and thats it.

Guys people who are on income security programs are not going to rise up in some army and attack the rest of us. I seriously do not know where this hilarious idea comes from. Even this video proves the underlying point that if everything became scarce people would turn their ire towards the government. Yes there could be rioting for food but not the craziness that is being envisioned in this post.

Hilarious idea? Look no further than recent history. What sparks a riot? Do a little research. You don't think rioting for food is craziness? Because they want food then that makes a riot somehow less dangerous? They turn their ire on the government? Typically they loot and burn neighborhoods.

Wiki definition of riot: A riot is a form of civil disorder characterized often by what is thought of as disorganized groups lashing out in a sudden and intense rash of violence against authority, property or people. While individuals may attempt to lead or control a riot, riots are thought to be typically chaotic and exhibit herd behaviour, and usually generated by civil unrest. However, there is a growing body of evidence to suggest that riots are not irrational, herd-like behaviour, but follow inverted social norms.[1]

Riots often occur in reaction to a perceived grievance or out of dissent. Historically, riots have occurred due to poor working or living conditions, government, oppression, taxation or conscription, conflicts between ethnic groups, food supply or religions (see race riot, sectarian violence and pogrom), the outcome of a sporting event (see football hooliganism) or frustration with legal channels through which to air grievances.

Riots typically involve vandalism and the destruction of private and public property. The specific property to be targeted varies depending on the riot and the inclinations of those involved. Targets can include shops, cars, restaurants, state-owned institutions, and religious buildings.

No need to speculate or make assumptions; New Orleans is a good example. A very high percentage of that pre-katrina population were on the government payout. Do a little digging and see what happened; see how the "good citizens" of New Orleans looted and shot at people TRYING TO RESCUE PEOPLE.
When the government provides your housing, food, cell phone and spending money and this is your every day life, it creates dependency and takes away people's ability to take care of themselves.

Some news blogs:
Katrina has gone but in New Orleans a different storm, a storm of violence unleashed by the decay of community and control, has been raging through the submerged city. As more disturbing tales reach the news, I am reminded of Escape From New York, the John Carpenter film in which Manhattan has been walled in and declared a prison. Inside the walls, chaos reigned. Right now it looks like chaos is king of the Big Easy. Laissez les mauvais temps rouler...

From WWLT's blog:

Managers at the Covenant Home nursing center were prepared to cope with power outages and supply shortages following Hurricane Katrina. They weren't ready for looters. The nursing home lost its bus after the driver surrendered it to carjackers. Groups of people then drove by the center, shouting to residents, "Get out!"
On Wednesday, 80 residents, most of them in wheelchairs, were evacuated to other nursing homes in the state.
"We had excellent plans. We had enough food for 10 days," said Peggy Hoffman, the home's executive director. "Now we'll have to equip our department heads with guns and teach them how to shoot."

From MSNBC:

National Guard troops in armored vehicles poured into New Orleans on Thursday to curb the growing lawlessness that included shots fired at helicopters airlifting people out of the Superdome and carjackings of buses helping with evacuations.

“We were told they are shooting at Chinook helicopters and the operation has been put on hold until daylight,” said Gloria Roemer.

Looters and armed gangs “are starting to get closer to heavily populated areas - hotels, hospitals and we’re going to stop it right now,” Nagin said.

Police were asking residents to give up any firearms before they evacuated neighborhoods because officers desperately needed the firepower: Some officers who had been stranded on the roof of a hotel said they were shot at.

From the BBC News:

A spokesman for the Louisiana ambulance service told the BBC the crowd had grown unruly and he was concerned for the safety of his staff.
He said a national guard had been shot, but he had not been seriously injured.

Read more: http://blogcritics.org/culture/article/hurricane-katrina-violence-in-the-big/#ixzz1vYlzBT8W

I hope we never see it happen; that's why we prepare. Dude, I hope you never have to find out how hilariously funny a food riot can be.

Back
Top Bottom