• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sota Arms machined copper bullets.

Lumberman

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
38   0
Reaction score
Looking for anyone who has loaded these bullets. I have them shooting well from a suppressed 8" 300 BLK pistol. Can I expect similiar preformance to Barnes solid copper bullets? Sota has no data or ballistic testing for them. Want to use them for hunting.

If they are brass, they are almost certainly not going to expand. If they are copper and done correctly, they can do some wicked expansion.

Well can't help you on the specific caliber, the specific projectile but can tell you a bit about quality all copper projectiles and use in more common pistol calibers ( if you consider 38 super and 10 MM as more common).
Copper may well be the best thing since sliced bread currently on the market, expansion can be controlled by the manufacture by both design and alloy makeup.
Generally Copper is lighter than lead/ steel, or any other metal used in projectiles, so they are longer than a projectile of other materials of the same weight.
They also normally due to the length have more bearing surface and better accuracy.
I point this out as they reduce case capacity a good bit, thereby make high pressure a certain problem if loaded at the OAL of say a FMJ/ jacketed round of the same weight with the same powder charge.
I would suggest that you look at the length/ weight of the banes projectile and check the length of that projectile/ compare that to the length of the SOTA projectile, if the same then the loadings should be as well.
of course always start low and work up loads to be safe.
I use all copper HP for self defense loadings in 10 MM, 38 Super, 9 MM and 380 and have been pleased with the performance of them.
Hope this helped a bit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom