• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Springfield mil-spec 1911 versus Remington R1

italian63

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
13   0
Reaction score
I have a Ruger ss SR1911, and am considering a complimentary 1911 in more traditional blue. I think i have it down to Remington R1 or the Springfield mil-spec (or GI?). I was leaning toward the Springer because of the history, better customer service, forged instead of steel components, heavier spring and the like (but I don't want anything made in Brazil). The positives i've read about the Remington are the finish and the trigger, and i can get a pretty good deal on this one right now. A lot of the reading I've done dates back a couple / few years, and though it seemed to favor the Springer, separate comments raised quality concerns on each. Which one should i get, or neither?

Well goodness there are so many opposites in the question then I don't know!
First Springfield Armory really hasn't got much of a history, at least the present company!
The original company has filed bankruptcy about a dozen times, has been owned by several different families, groups, has been relocated.
and then you say I don't want a 1911 from Brazil???
well thats exactly where Springfields originate.
CERTAIN models are assembled and fitted in Illinois but they all come out of Brazil originally (at least the 1911's) others come from Croatia.
It depends on how true a G I that you want the weapon to be?
the MIL spec has a lowered and flared ejection port and 3 dot sights, the G I is no longer produced by Springer.
The Remington I am sure is a fine gun it just doesn't do a lot for me personally.
so its all about what you really want and what you like.
I would suggest that if your criteria is true then more research may be in order.
hope this helps.

Yes, that helps a lot, thanks! I didn't know about all the ownership turnover at Springfield, and i had heard that they've received a lot of negative feedback on the brazilian manufacturing and would be bringing some back to the states. My cousin sold one he had with the NM marking that he claimed was made here, and i've regretted not buying that one at the time because i didn't have the cash. I may keep looking, or just try to be satisfied with my Ruger (helps the wallet). But I'm curious what you don't like about the Remington R1. Is it all American made? I've read a lot of positive and negative comments about it, and have a hard time sifting through all the opinions.

if you are content with the ruger, stick with what you have. those are fine pieces. there are milsurp colts flying around some places on the web (e-sarco) those are the true GI 1911s.

i have only held an R1, cant comment on anything other than feel. and some come with a threaded barrel if that is your fancy.

shot a springfield operator or range officer, cant remember which one a while back. with it i shot that one better than a sig 229, glock 19 that day. that would be my preference if going a step higher with 1911's a springer loaded ... else go look into some armscor stuff and then PROJECT GUN!

Yes, that helps a lot, thanks! I didn't know about all the ownership turnover at Springfield, and i had heard that they've received a lot of negative feedback on the brazilian manufacturing and would be bringing some back to the states. My cousin sold one he had with the NM marking that he claimed was made here, and i've regretted not buying that one at the time because i didn't have the cash. I may keep looking, or just try to be satisfied with my Ruger (helps the wallet). But I'm curious what you don't like about the Remington R1. Is it all American made? I've read a lot of positive and negative comments about it, and have a hard time sifting through all the opinions.

The NM prefix on a Springer 1911 indicates that it was assembled/fitted in Illinois, not that it was manufactured there.
it all has to do with what the Government will allow to be imported into the USA as I understand it.
anyway several if not all models of Springer MAY be assembled here, a few Like the TRP/ Range Officer are always assembled here.
actually I got 2 springers that re assembled here a Range officer and a Micro compact .
I personally have nothing against where a 1911 is made as long as its a reliable weapon and own them from Brazil, America, phillipines. actually my 3 most accurate 1911's are a Citadel , a Taurus, and a Springfield range officer.--OPPS! Forgot about the Dan Wesson! add that to the among most accurate!
but to each their own.
I didn't say that Remington I didn't like, I said it don't float my boat as a standout.
I own 17-18 1911's so it needs to be something to catch my eye, and price isn't so much something that catches my eye.
You should be able to locate a used Mil spec I would think there are plenty of them floating about.
good luck with the search.

well as for the Ruger, it comes exactly the way that I would order a 1911 myself.
its got everything that I would want on a 1911 and not all the other crap that I personally have no need for.
its stainless , its quality made and its fairly priced.
while Ruger is cast they are quality cast and any discussion that I have ever had with them has been very positive.
since the Commander size has been introduced then as a carry 1911 that just adds more to the gun, I don't own one mostly cause I just don't honestly need one, OH and they don't chamber it in 38 Super either !--another addiction of mine sadly!

I've got a Remington R1 Enhanced that I love. It's got 500 rounds through it and I haven't had a problem with it. My neighbor has an xds 45 and shot it and was surprised with how much smoother it was and was saying he'd love to get one. I'd definitely reccomend it.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom