Swedish Mauser

boxer90

Default rank <3000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
Picked one of these up today (will post some pictures later). Sporter rifle but didn't pay a whole lot for it and have been looking for a cheap project gun. Carl Gustafs Stads 1906 196xxx serial. Had a bent bolt which interested me when I bought it (thinking maybe a carbine that had been sporterized) but it appears the bolt was custom work. Most of the gun is numbers matching (floor plate stuck out as non-matching), barrel is 24", so I'm assuming it's been cut down.

Never the less, anyone have any experience with these? Bore looks pristine. Some surface rust but it's cleaning nicely. Doesn't have the original stock, but some Butler Creek synthetic I plan on selling. Thinking about ordering some of the cheap wooden "blanks" just to fool around without having to spend a lot of money. Anything else I need to know?

Bought one years ago, chopped about six inches off the barrel with a hacksaw, faced it with a file and chamfered the muzzle with a brass bolt chucked in a hand drill with valve grinding compound. Used to be able to keep three shots under an inch at 100 yds with iron sights when the eyes were better. The surplus ammo you once could get for about $2 a box shot really well.
Looking back I wish I had left it original, as it was in great shape, but it was a $70 gun at that time.

Back
Top Bottom